ET: Engine (Twin) Early B Rapide Dog Leg Kick Start?

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Was reading the ads in the MPH and noted the one for an early rapide. The seller mentions some early B parts fitted including a dog leg kick start?

Were the kick start levers on early B's different to the rest, if so can anyone elaborate or post some pics showing the difference?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hopefully this photo will explain. On the left is the well known kickstart used from mid 1948 on (approx), and on the right is the earlier type with the dog leg bend near the footpiece end.
Simon
IMG_3742.jpg

Rob H

VOC Member
Just checked back on the old photo of the bike and it can be clearly seen, not noticed this before

Attachments

• Arch 11c.jpg
    Arch 11c.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 122

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just checked back on the old photo of the bike and it can be clearly seen, not noticed this before
Interesting photo as it clearly shows the long front brake cable going down the right side of the forks which is what appears to be on a lot of the early series B photos I have seen. Just like the series A front brake cables.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
And, I don't see a rear brake light switch. And an alloy knob on the Bramptons, not bakelite.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
What came first, water excluders, or the extra stays for the rear mudguard?

vibrac

VOC Member
Interesting photo as it clearly shows the long front brake cable going down the right side of the forks which is what appears to be on a lot of the early series B photos I have seen. Just like the series A front brake cables.
Actually amongst all the arcaine minutiae that follows the picture of the bike this item on the routing of the RH cable has a good reason behind it. Any one who saw the result of a Brampton with a LH cable a pot hole and some vigerous forward motion that occured to a good friend of mine this summer will soon sort their cable run. The violent upward rise of the forks jammed the brakes on, tore the brake stop pin from the plate and sent the rider to hospital. Sometimes following the original design is not just an arm chair riders sport.