Early 229E and 289N "heavy" carburetor castings

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Several carburetor threads are already active, but I'm starting a new one rather than hijacking one of those.

When I got my 1950 Black Shadow it came to me with a spare set of front and rear carburetors (229E\1DV and 289N/2DS -- yes, the '\' is a backslash). However, these spare carburetors are significantly heavier than the ones attached to the engine. The 229E, in particular, seems to have been introduced in 1949, with a 289M having been used for the first two years.

I suspect it has been discussed at length somewhere before, but what is known about these "heavy" carburetors? Were they from some initial sand cast production before dies were made, and thus of heavier cross section? What is the alloy used in them? I would guess brass because of the weight, but is that correct?

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could they be painted bronze bodies?..John
If Amal only made these carburetors in one of two materials (i.e. bronze, and not-bronze), they're bronze. But, other than the material they are made of, is anything else known about them? Were they made in this large size especially for Vincent?

Last edited: