E228 - Comet Dynamo Pinion

G

Graham Smith

When I bought my Series 'B' Meteor, it had a huge alternator fitted connected to a dummy dynamo arrangement (pretty ugly).

I've now removed the dummy dynamo and pinion and showed it to a couple of people in North Kent last night, and one of them raised a concern that part of my E228 had been cut down.

Has anyone got an E228 that they got take a measurement for me please? That way, I'll know whether to replace it or not to end up with a conventional dynamo system.

Please see photo attached...

Attachments

• E228.jpg
    E228.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 92
G

Graham Smith

Could you just give me a measurement?
Thanks for the offer, but if my one has been cut, I'll probably just get a new one from Ian or Russell.

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have measured the 2 i have, one is 1.069inch front to back with a shoulder depth of 0.435inch and the other is 1.075inch with a shoulder depth of 0.435inch. Hope this helps Graham...John

G

Graham Smith

Thanks for that John.

It would appear that my pinion's OK, but the person who thought it's been cut needs glasses!

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I measured an old one in my parts as well.
total depth - 1.070"
gear depth - .628"
shoulder depth - .438"
shoulder OD - .862"
looks to be same dimensions as John provided
Craig

Don Morris

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Since the original question seems to have been answered OK can I bring up the subject of leaks from the seal/pinion. I had leaks on my standard Comet, tried a Bantam seal, slightly tighter on the pinion. This leaked and marked the pinion.

So pinion was slightly reground and then set in lathe, rotating, with a motorised polishing mop running against it. The result was an extremely fine polish. This proved not to leak, with standard seal and undersized pinion.

This proved that all the textbooks were correct when they stated that a high finish was required for a running seal! Also the seal must be oiled when putting together as it's the thin film of oil which provides the seal.

G

Graham Smith

My Meteor seems to be letting oil past the dynamo seal, and someone has suggested that I fit another seal, as there's room for two.

I'll let you know how I get on.