E.S.A.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I seem to recall that the ESA was designed with the multiple small springs as larger spring wire was hard to get due to wartime restrictions, has anyone tried a single spring convertion as fitted to almost all other British bikes of the time and if so was it successful and is it worth trying.

Chris.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Oh and vincent ones don't!! mine had turned to just shards, replaced them last winter. BSA used single springs on just about everything until altenators came along, my HD stll has one.

Chris.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
I seem to recall that the ESA was designed with the multiple small springs as larger spring wire was hard to get due to wartime restrictions, has anyone tried a single spring convertion as fitted to almost all other British bikes of the time and if so was it successful and is it worth trying.

Chris.
Hi,
see forty years on page 64 item53 mph 229.
I tried this many years ago, and found it to be a waste of time, as it was impossible to compress the spring far enough to get the nut started.

Perhaps some one else has tried it and had more success. I would be interested to know.

Stumpy Lord

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Hi Chris. Rapid ESA spring failure can be caused by worn splines in the various components causing rotational displacement during use that, in extreme cases, can crush or shear the multitude of springs. Might be worth checking this out before venturing out in the murky world of ESA redesign?

Albervin

VOC Member
Interestingly the ESA springs were a part on another well known brand and for a few years (post war) Vincent bought them in direct from the opposition. What was the other brand? Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

vibrac

VOC Member
worth also checking the ESA cam contours there were some wrongly machined at one time

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Following on from what OO says, The D also has a Plain outer thick plate, without the indents, Which can sheer the springs. I have fitted such a plate on C ESA, I think, Cheers Bill.