E.S.A.

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Following on from what OO says, The D also has a Plain outer thick plate, without the indents, Which can sheer the springs. I have fitted such a plate on C ESA, I think, Cheers Bill.
A good point noted by Bill. I always fit my outer plate with the indents facing out.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Most big failures of ESA springs I have seen is due to a loose crankshaft nut...........No, not the wooded kind, either...:rolleyes:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I'm not saying it was rapid spring failure as it was the first time I had been in the primary side and I'd only had the bike 4 years, I had to replace the sprocket and sleeve (a couple of teeth missing and lots of side to side rock ) as well. I just wondered if it would be worth trying.

Chris.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I thought Maughans made a single spring unit at one time. Also, Steve Hamel was looking into Belleville springs for his Bonneville bike, but I don't know how far he progressed.

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Interestingly the ESA springs were a part on another well known brand and for a few years (post war) Vincent bought them in direct from the opposition. What was the other brand? Maybe someone else can enlighten us.
I expect you already know the answer but are just fishing again, for fun.
See page 340 of PEI Autobiog.

I do find it odd that VOC seems incapable of getting this excellent book re-issued.
It is now very scarce and expensive to buy secondhand.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
See page 340 of PEI Autobiog. I do find it odd that VOC seems incapable of getting this excellent book re-issued.
It certainly is an excellent book. Expensive books are probably expensive to produce and I guess that there could be copyright issues to sort out, etc. Could you be just the person to research the issues and finance a production run? I might buy one but not at the current S/H prices.:eek:

Black Flash

VOC Member
My brother has this single spring thingy fitted on his Comet engine. Came with the bike bits when he bought the basket case.
Unfortunately he is in holiday and when he returns it is my turn, so pics will take a while

Bernd

Albervin

VOC Member
See page 340 of PEI Autobiog.

I do find it odd that VOC seems incapable of getting this excellent book re-issued.
The VOC can only use the VOC publishing company to print material for which they hold copyright. The PEI book was published by Turton and Armstrong in Australia so had nothing to do with the VOC.

ossie

VOC Member
my 49 shadow has a series d esa the springs kept breaking in that.
the nut holding it on the shaft kept coming loose giving the springs a longer length alowing the springs to bend further.
it made a loverly groove inside the case.
i now take care that the nut is tight and the locking washer is doing its job properly.
no more broken springs.
OSSIE

greg brillus

VOC Member
Clean the thread on the end of the crank, and the nut, and put some Loctite 243 blue medium strength thread locker on it, do it up tight......no more loose nut.....Loctite will break free when you need to undo it again without too much difficulty. Like I said in post no 12, most spring failures I've seen is due to a loose nut, and /or the points made by Bill and Ed in posts 10 and 11..........Greg.