Dynamo overhaul.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sean Hawker's Mags and Dynamos

Yes, I have used Sean Hawker's mags and dynamos for years on my Vincents. Back in the 90s he asked me to test his prototype electronic regulators on my Comet (6V) and Rapide (12V). They are encapsulated in Miller cases. I haven't managed to break them yet!

His website is: www.hawkerelectrical.co.uk

PB
Bristol, UK

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Yes, I have used Sean Hawker's mags and dynamos for years on my Vincents. Back in the 90s he asked me to test his prototype electronic regulators on my Comet (6V) and Rapide (12V). They are encapsulated in Miller cases. I haven't managed to break them yet!

His website is: www.hawkerelectrical.co.uk

PB
Bristol, UK

PB,
Thanks for the advice.
I don't really know too much about Dynamo's but Sean sounds like he really know's his stuff. It's good that he's developed his reg and it's been tried and tested. He will have to sort mine out now.

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
S/S miller reg base plates

PB,
Thanks for the advice.
I don't really know too much about Dynamo's but Sean sounds like he really know's his stuff. It's good that he's developed his reg and it's been tried and tested. He will have to sort mine out now.

He also sells well made S/S reg base plates for the miller reg box.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Alton reliability

As far as I know, only the 3-phase Altons have given trouble. The single phase ones (the original model and the current one) are no bother.(*) I think the 3-phase might have been an attempt to get more oomph at low revs from a alternator small enough to go into a dynamo housing.
The dynamo is run over engine speed (engine sprocket / dynamo sprocket x rpm, hazy memory says 15% over) and at 30 mph that's only 1600 rpm. My Sunbeam S7, with 4 1/2" pancake dynamo is turning about 2300 at that speed. Presumably that's why the Alton has an epicyclic box, to overspeed it still further.
* Those who have heard me muttering about unreliable electrics should know that in every case to date except the three-phase referred to, the fundamental problem was allowing an electrical idiot to do the wiring. No prizes for guessing who THAT is, then.

nkt267

VOC Member
[QUOTEThe dynamo is run over engine speed (engine sprocket / dynamo sprocket x rpm, hazy memory says 15% over) and at 30 mph that's only 1600 rpm][/QUOTE]
On a Comet the Alton runs at engine speed.The 3 phase one I had originally ended up balancing the headlight load at 50mph.I had it on for only a year but I had bought it a year before the bike was on the road.The single phase one I have now is excellent and shows a charge when you blip the throttle.Also the regulator design has been changed and I have now bolted it under the battery platform.John

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
[QUOTEThe dynamo is run over engine speed (engine sprocket / dynamo sprocket x rpm, hazy memory says 15% over) and at 30 mph that's only 1600 rpm]
On a Comet the Alton runs at engine speed.The 3 phase one I had originally ended up balancing the headlight load at 50mph.I had it on for only a year but I had bought it a year before the bike was on the road.The single phase one I have now is excellent and shows a charge when you blip the throttle.Also the regulator design has been changed and I have now bolted it under the battery platform.John[/quote]

Too much info for me! I just want a unit to perform and engine speed on my 'rusty trusty' Comet was never a problem as it needs to be 'thrashed' to get any reasonable power from it.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Altons and dynamo sprockets

My experience was funny in retrospect. I defended the three-phase Alton against what I thought was unfair criticism (it wouldn't balance a 1000 watt headlamp, coil ignition, a washing machine and a spin dryer until it was doing 50 mph) for about a year. Then in the space of about 3 days, mine failed too, eventually barely balancing the coil ignition, lights off.
The replacement single phase one however has thus far behaved perfectly, and as you say, responds to a blip of the throttle.
My regulator sits on an ally block secured to the top dynamo clamp via the 2 x tapped holes for the Miller regulator. (The underside of the battery carrier is where the ignition key sits.)
Like you, I just want something reliable. I've long passed the stage of believing any bike lighting system can come anywhere near the performance of modern car lights.
Incidentally, can anyone tell me how many teeth there ARE on a twin dynamo sprocket? There are 35 on the engine sprocket but the literature is silent about the dynamo drive.

[QUOTEThe dynamo is run over engine speed (engine sprocket / dynamo sprocket x rpm, hazy memory says 15% over) and at 30 mph that's only 1600 rpm]
On a Comet the Alton runs at engine speed.The 3 phase one I had originally ended up balancing the headlight load at 50mph.I had it on for only a year but I had bought it a year before the bike was on the road.The single phase one I have now is excellent and shows a charge when you blip the throttle.Also the regulator design has been changed and I have now bolted it under the battery platform.John[/quote]

rapcom

VOC Member
Twin Dynamo Sprocket

The number of teeth on a twin dynamo sprocket is 28.
I just went out to the workshop and counted them, just for you, Tom!