Dynamo overhaul.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Dynamo on my bike still has the cut-out and the original miller reg. It can be tempermental. There seems to be plently of people that overhaul dynamo's but I am looking for recommendations for someone that can overhaul my dynamo and supply me with a solid state reg.

Don't really know anything about Alton's. Would this be a better option for my bitsa twin?

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Stuart Towner will do a good Job and supply the regulator

His phone no and address is in MPH

Regards Peter.

Peter,
Do you happen to know which make of reg he sells? Will his reg fit into an original Miller reg box?

I 've just looked back through my old CB issues and just read an article on him.

rapcom

VOC Member
Solid State Regulators

I suggest that putting a solid state regulator inside a Miller case (or a Lucas one ) is a bad move. The early versions were known to get warm, sometimes to failure level, and the later versions are fitted with ribs or cooling fins to aid heat dissipation. Putting it in a case will cut it off from cooling airflow. Better to mount it in free air for longer life. Under the battery carrier or saddle will hide it, if you are bothered by looking non-standard.

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
AO Regulator

Stuart now sells the AO regulator. I have two dynamo rebuilds from Stuart using the AO gadget in a Miller box. One at 12v and the other at 6v. Charges don't balance till 50 mph or so but they have both worked fine for a year or so.

Another good dynamo (and magneto) repairer is APL see http://www.aoservices.co.uk/supplier.htm who also supplies the AO V regulator.

APL and Stuart charge reasonable prices. APL is very quick and is doing a Lucas for me at the moment which needs a new bearing, field and armature for £100.

vic

pifinch

Non-VOC Member
I used A.O. services to check & repair my Rita, very fast turnaround, good price & very helpfull
Steve

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Altons

Since you asked...
I have an Alton. It's 12 volt, I think they all are. This was fine by me because i planned to fit an electric start, for which I'd need 12 volts. My first three-phase one failed, as apparently all three-phase ones did eventually. It was replaced FOC by a new one which was single-phase like the original. They are widely used in place of dynamos, on Vincents obviously, but also for example on Velos. They are a straight swap for a dynamo. I've had no problems in 7000 miles with the single phase, which balances a 55/60 watt headlamp at about 45 mph. The new one has a finned block regulator. Mine is fixed to the flat top of the dynamo clamp. It puts out up to 150 watts. Unregulated it kicks out 31 volts ac at tick-over. (An unregulated 12 volt Lucas pancake dynamo kicks out about 18 volts dc.)
The conclusion of Know Thy Beast is that the Miller dynamo is a well made piece of kit, at least as good as the Lucas, but that the Miller regulator is a disaster. I think the story that the milliampere was a unit introduced to measure the output of a Miller dynamo is apocryphal.

nkt267

VOC Member
My first three-phase one failed, as apparently all three-phase ones did eventually. It was replaced FOC by a new one which was single-phase like the original
Mine wasn't:mad: