DVLA are still around....

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I moved to Minnesota in 1998, I bought a "Classic" license plate for the Rap that is good forever for $100. There are restrictions about not for daily use, but they are not strong and not enforced and when I am out for a ride, I am checking the tuneup or on some Section business. The $16 fee was for modern bikes.

Howard

VOC Member
ERRRR!!!!! I think I must be missing something. Are not our bikes so old that the tax is free? We do still have to SORN them though.

Yes!!!

You lucky Sods!!!!!

I forgot. My Egli is registered as October 1974 :( so it's about 12 months too modern to be tax free!!!!!

H

mr.hutch

VOC Member
Standard Off Road Notification

If the road tax runs out at the start of Winter, it's quite common for some of us lesser motorcyclists not to re tax the bike til Spring when the weather may or may not warm up slightly. If this happens, we now have to declare that we have taken the motorcycle (or other vehicle) off the road and will not be using it (SORN). If we don't tell "them" we get fined.

If you've not got anything like this in Oz, destroy this thread now before some beurocrat decides it a good idea there too.

H

Howard, please don't think me the ultimate pedantic bore (which I am ), but the 'S' refers to 'statutory', a far more sinister and threatening word than 'standard', it's the law.
Ignore this a one's peril it would seem, if the last letter I received from DVLA is anything to go by, re. my ancient 'DT175' and a Brockhouse 'Corgi', that have both been off the road for years, as I may have to pay a fine of £5000,00 plus a jail term should I contravene said item on the statute book.
It is well known to the DVLA I'm sure, that there are many, many road users out there, who pay neither road tax, have insurance and are disqualified from driving / riding for one reason or another, who survive without prosecution.

Is this just an imbalance of my imagination, or should I be more generous and understanding, after all the season of peace and love approaches.

Grumpy old git from suffolk. mr.hutch :(

Howard

VOC Member
Howard, please don't think me the ultimate pedantic bore (which I am ), but the 'S' refers to 'statutory', a far more sinister and threatening word than 'standard', it's the law.
Ignore this a one's peril it would seem, if the last letter I received from DVLA is anything to go by, re. my ancient 'DT175' and a Brockhouse 'Corgi', that have both been off the road for years, as I may have to pay a fine of £5000,00 plus a jail term should I contravene said item on the statute book.
It is well known to the DVLA I'm sure, that there are many, many road users out there, who pay neither road tax, have insurance and are disqualified from driving / riding for one reason or another, who survive without prosecution.

Is this just an imbalance of my imagination, or should I be more generous and understanding, after all the season of peace and love approaches.

Grumpy old git from suffolk. mr.hutch :(

Yes Mr Hutch. You are a pedantic bore and a grumpy old Git - I couldn't spell "statutory".

Grumpy old Git from Stoke. H. :)

Good luck with the DT(s) and the Corgi -reply earlier in this thread says SORN doesn't count if off the road before 1997 (I think) if that helps.

mr.hutch

VOC Member
Thanks Howard for taking my post in the spirit given,
I read some were recently that being grumpy is good for you, in that you use more of the Grey cells in the old brain.
Those unfortunate folk who are always smiling and happy don't use so many so they fade away from lack of use.
I liked that, it sort of justified my outlook on my existance.

What you said regarding SORN dates is very interesting, as follows. The Yamaha I have owned from new, 1977, so it has always been on the system, but the Corgi which I have owned since the mid 1950's has only been a problem since I applied for its original licence plate and new V5. This was perfectly OK, but now its on the current database, I have to declare SORN every twelve months from the date of my application. It's a bit of a pain to say the least, what's worse is the sheer waste of paper etc. I do it on-line but still get a letter through the post as confirmation.
Obviously more reasons for being grumpy, as if I need any.

go carefully on all that white stuff out there mr.hutch :)