Dunlop wheel rims

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If the original "Dunlops" are in good general condition and not badly pitted, then you can re plate them........I would suggest this be only done once........The other trap is the rolled outer bead which can hold the chemicals from previous plating and this can become weak from internal corrosion........If the rims have already been re plated before and the markings are a bit thin, I would not bother........The Devon rims are the most accurate copies of the originals when it comes to the profile of the rims.........I prefer them to any others that I've had before........Unfortunately they refuse to sell rims that are coach lined oversees on account of the possible damage to them........ I think they are wrong, as I've had ones from Central in the UK and they showed up painted and nicely protected, no problem.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
If the original "Dunlops" are in good general condition and not badly pitted, then you can re plate them........I would suggest this be only done once........The other trap is the rolled outer bead which can hold the chemicals from previous plating and this can become weak from internal corrosion........If the rims have already been re plated before and the markings are a bit thin, I would not bother........The Devon rims are the most accurate copies of the originals when it comes to the profile of the rims.........I prefer them to any others that I've had before........Unfortunately they refuse to sell rims that are coach lined oversees on account of the possible damage to them........ I think they are wrong, as I've had ones from Central in the UK and they showed up painted and nicely protected, no problem.
Yes not all old rims would be suitable and need to be careful in polishing to clean up best as possible without affecting integrity of the rim and the nipple area particularly important as has been mentioned by others I also made the drain holes for the rolled beads a little bigger I would only give this job to a very good chrome plater and expect to pay accordingly Also agree that Devon rims excellent option I have a set that are painted and lined maybe 5 years ago so I have been lucky to get before they changed their policy which seems a strange decision on their behalf because the were very well packed

Attachments

• 0CF16ED9-1B17-4D60-A2D8-2BC1D50BAA9C.jpeg
    0CF16ED9-1B17-4D60-A2D8-2BC1D50BAA9C.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 19

Albervin

VOC Member
It probably comes down to whether you want wheels to use or display. Whether you are restoring original rims or buying new rims from the UK the costs are very similar in Australia. Maybe $500 per rim!! Ouch! I have been through the process and decided to restore an original rear Dunlop. I do have a spare new rim just in case though.