• New Member Special Offer

Join the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club today, and get a special offer of 14 months for the price of 12 (your membership will expire on 31st December 2020)!

There is a mass of information, including many thousands of technical articles which have been written since the Club started in 1948, which are only available to Members of the Club. Once you join, your membership of this forum will be upgraded and you'll get access to them, as well as many other features.

To join, simply click HERE and follow the simple instructions.

Ron and Linda Thomas - Membership Secretaries.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Dumb Joke

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Only thing that's kept them going all these years is people with image problems, no other reason.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have never ridden one, I am too weak and small, But have a look at some youtubes of them Sprinting, Drag Racing, Don't know what they have done, But with all the road gear and sitting upright, They made my Sprint times look Stupid !, As Roy The Mechanic says, They make some BIG ones now !!. Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have one, bought it years ago, we used to go touring through Europe, I had a 650 Triumph chop and my mate had this Harley, both two up, he could take everything including the kitchen sink and it didn't bother it one bit, my poor little Triumph struggled at times.
So when he decided to get something else I bought his Harley, he's regretted selling it ever since. It's not a touring type model, has air shockers, better brakes, and been ported and converted back to chain drive so the gearing could be altered, with a small screen will sit at 100mph all day.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I had an Air shock on the back of my "D" once, The Best !!!, Can't think why it didn't catch on.
Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Don't feel too bad about their sprint times Bill, Their 114 cu inches is actually 1,868 ccs and the 114 weighs about 200 lbs more than a Vincent twin so you might not be as weak as you think. Imagine picking that up off the floor if it fell over!!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Did you ever build your Big Vin', Norman ?. I know how time goes by Quick !.
Cheers Bill.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Seems fitting to have H-D discussions in the dumb joke thread.;)
Though my first bike was an early 45" flathead slightly less weight than a Vincent.
A very reliable machine, never had any problems after renovation.
Liked the hand pump for supplying extra oil to the engine, simulating a 2-stroke. Useful when cars behind was too close.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Here's my list of objections to Harleys.
1) The stupid "weekend outlaw" thing. In other words, the Harley "culture". In that sense it isn't a motorcycle at all. It's a social statement, something like a handbag.
2) The apparent need to remove silencers.
3) Size and weight. I've had Harley owners brag to me that their bikes weigh close to 900 lbs. It may be an exaggeration but what's there to brag about?
4) The lounge-chair seating position. Not the best for cornering, but you don't want to. You're half asleep anyway. Where's the TV remote?
5) That "bat wing" item in front that blocks the nearest 100 feet of road, at least for short folks such as me.

I suppose they're mechanically sound although they seem to need more visits to the shop than any other brand.