DU142 Lucas 8" Headlight

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

I think the Good Mr. Watson posted that A twins only had lucas lighting on them, is this correct? Is there an A owner who could tell us from the works sheets what lighting sets went with A twins and singles?

Best,

E.

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I'm not sure in regards to any particular model of Vincent I would ever use the term only (although I may have) because as Simon says touch your nose - Oh sorry off track there, Simon says there is not such thing as a standard Vincent.
I believe that generally the Prewar single had Miller electrics and pre war twins usually had Lucas. Certainly the build sheets on my two (one single and one twin) show that to be the case.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I'm not sure in regards to any particular model of Vincent I would ever use the term only (although I may have) because as Simon says touch your nose - Oh sorry off track there, Simon says there is not such thing as a standard Vincent.
I believe that generally the Prewar single had Miller electrics and pre war twins usually had Lucas. Certainly the build sheets on my two (one single and one twin) show that to be the case.
Thanks Robert. I remember you saying that singles had miller and the twins Lucas. But all is up for change I would imagine. I have an original DU142 1930's 8" coming my way.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Having scanned all the series A and pre A works records and entered them into the database I can say with high confidence I have never seen a series A single in the factory records that used Lucas lights, but I'm sure somebody will now prove me wrong.
The very early series A singles used BTH electrics but BTH didn't actually make the lights that they provided, those were made by Powell & Hanmer (P&M) in Birmingham.
Around 1936 this changed to Miller ignition and lighting but in 1937 there was a batch of singles made with Miller lighting and BTH mag dyno, so they must have been using up the stock of BTH parts.

The only series A machines I have ever come across with Lucas lights was the Rapide.
Simon