Drive Sprocket Nut Spanner?

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What do you guys use to tighten and loosen the drive sprocket nut as it is not possible to get a normal spanner in.

Anyone know what size the nut is?

regs

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I use a 1" drive socket..either 1 1/8 or 1 1/16..on a 2 foot bar..and I replace the nut every second time.. Turn the end of the socket square to get full engagement of the nut.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Twin nut is 1" Whitworth (1.670" across flats), Single is 3/4" Whitworth ( 1.3" across flats) If it is a Twin, the locking tab G23/1 available from Spares dealers is a good addition, or Loctite, or both ! If it is a Single take off the kickstart side cover and get a good ring spanner or socket on the nut on that end and do the plot up bloody tight.

jim burgess

VOC Member
Suitable size box spanner and tommy bar for a twin, don't forget to remover the fibre washer first, gives more purchase...
Jim Burgess

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I can't remember the hexagon size on my twin, a snap-on socket + an air gun (tyre fitters freind) keeps it all in one place! best of all it does it in seconds.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Oh my, whatever happened to doing things Harley style? Everyone has a hammer and old screwdriver. Will you people ever learn?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
You've probably heard this definition. HARLEY: American device for converting fuel into noise without the attendant complications of performance, brakes or handling.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I rode a hog just once in my life when the guy painting my Triumph sent me out on his Pan Head for something he needed. I was scared!
It was indeed just like Phil Irving's quip about riding the Vindian: "like being a yachtsman at the helm of the Queen Mary."