Drive Side Bearing Setup Question Series ‘A’

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Neal/Rodney made the new engines with a post war setup and so they don’t have the spring. Mine was missing and Greg B kindly sent me a spare he had, you are correct in that there does not appear to be a modern equivalent at this time.

Cheers
Mark

nkt267

VOC Member
The problem with modern 'Thakerey washers' according to Graham at Alberta springs is that they do not have the flat portion between the coils and do not compress flat..They are just double coil spring washers.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I note the VOC spares Co can supply the correct flat Thackery washer for the rear stand bolts on post war bikes so maybe their supplier can provide a larger one for this application. You could ask VOCS who their supplier is assuming they would tell you.
Simon

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The drawing shows 4 x 559 washers and the Spares List specifies the same, but I have a feeling this is an error. I could be wrong, but I've got Eddie Stevens in my corner, at least. He seems to say one per side between the stand and the frame. The other 563 is at the bottom of the number plate.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Why not use Bellvo washers face to face for more spring or spoon stacked for more pressure, On "A" twins it has a double coil Thackery.
bananaman

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Hi Marcus. Finding belleville washers in the right size in NZ has been impossible but I finally found a Chinese pair on eBay which I'm still waiting for. However in the meantime I have decided to go with two lipless rollers held with loctite and use a carefully sized spacer just nipped up by the sprocket to hold the inners. A 37x50x6mm seal in a pressed in alloy housing runs on the spacer and has a little sealant under it to stop oil running along the shaft.
Good to see you are back to thinking about Vincents again!

TRIALSMASTER

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I can't find a spring to fit between the bearing inners. Does anyone have a spare or a source?

In the absence of a spring is there any reason I can't fit an outer sealed ball bearing and a plain (non-lipped) inner roller with a spacer between them with both bearing outers retained by loctite? The shaft is held axially by the timing side and the shafts are a sliding fit in the bearing inners so free to move with expanding cases.
Hi
Conway motors have the spring you require.