Drawings - English Projection.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m working with a machine drawing from the 1950’s which I have good reason to believe was drawn by an Englishman. At the top of the drawing it reads: “ENGLISH PROJECTION (not true angle)”. I’ve searched the inter webs for a definition of that term and came up empty. Anyone over there able to translate that into something a colonial can understand? From my search I now know about 1st and 3rd angles etc, but English projection is still a bit of a mystery.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
I’m working with a machine drawing from the 1950’s which I have good reason to believe was drawn by an Englishman. At the top of the drawing it reads: “ENGLISH PROJECTION (not true angle)”. I’ve searched the inter webs for a definition of that term and came up empty. Anyone over there able to translate that into something a colonial can understand? From my search I now know about 1st and 3rd angles etc, but English projection is still a bit of a mystery.
Could it be "Perspective", as in Front elevation,End elevation, Plan and Perspective view..Obviously the angles in the first three will be correct,not so in the perspective view.Just going back to tech. drawing in my high school years.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies.
So “English Projection” = “British Practice” = “First Angle Projection”.
Kind of baffled that the book from 1945 refers to it as First Angle Projection (which I assume would be normal) and the 1950’s drawing uses what appears to be an obscure term. The fellow that drew it worked for Lucas, so maybe that’s a factor.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies.
So “English Projection” = “British Practice” = “First Angle Projection”.
Kind of baffled that the book from 1945 refers to it as First Angle Projection (which I assume would be normal) and the 1950’s drawing uses what appears to be an obscure term. The fellow that drew it worked for Lucas, so maybe that’s a factor.
Worked for LUCAS???? Well he must have been working in the dark!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
North America uses 3rd angle, Brits use 1st angle.
Now ask how Packard managed to build Merlin engines. First task was to completely redraw everything, and whilst doing it convert everything to SAE threads, I understand that took the first 3 months.
Three months later the first engines started rolling out the door. Ford had told RR a min of 2 years if they took it on, which they didn't have room to do anyway.