Dr Oliver Fuller

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was very excited to see this one...and it is Factory stock, literally!

Terry Wade Factory Worker.JPG

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
OOOHHHEEERRR!!! I have come over all funny peculiar. A bit like the first Europeans seeing a 'plat billed ducky puss' or whatever. I know the photo is not the best but I think that I can see a Comet engine/gearbox and footrest, a 'D' rear enclosure, a b/c seat, a mirror on a stalk so long that it must have had serious vibration issues and some things I cannot be sure what they are. I am now going to lie down in a darkened room and trust that someone will tell us where this originated.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
This is Terry Wade long time serving at guy at Vincent's, he gave me this pic. two years back, he made this bike from parts laying around at the factory in 1956/7 Terry died last year,, his wife was also a Vincent Employee, rego looks to be LRO489 Terry was a RAF pilot in the last war spending most of his time in North Africa, so I would say he could handle this

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks David. What a good source of information you are. Even with a heads up on a windscreen I still cannot see it and wonder what the side panels over the engine are. There does not seem to be anything like the regular 'D' crash bar to fix it to so he was an ingenious fellow.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Just come of the phone from Edith Irving, Phil and Nevil were good Friends pre war, as Neville worked as an engineer at De Havillands which as you know is just down the road from Vincents and Phil was a director of the Film on the beach which was filmed at Phillp Island Nevil moving to Melbourne was Phils doing,
Neville Shute Norway, owne
David, I'm sure I read somewhere that Nevil Shute worked in the drawing office at Vincents for short while before he emigrated to Australia ? Can you confirm this - it's just that Rip Tragle said Phil Irving directed a scene in the film 'On The Beach' !!
Nevil Shute Norway, owner and director of Airspeeds Ltd. moved their factory from York, having started Airspeed with Hessle Tiltman in 1931, to the Airport at Portsmouth in 1936. Nevil lived on Hayling Island until his emigration to Australia in 1950.
I have no recollection of Nevil having worked at De Havillands, in fact when Airspeeds were taken over by De Havillands in the mid forties, he had ceased to have any connection with the firm. My Apprentice papers however, do bear the Airspeed logo.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Trev I have just Goggled up Nevil Shute, and found out that his name was Nevil Shute Norway very enlightening reading

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Neville Shute Norway, owne

Nevil Shute Norway, owner and director of Airspeeds Ltd. moved their factory from York, having started Airspeed with Hessle Tiltman in 1931, to the Airport at Portsmouth in 1936. Nevil lived on Hayling Island until his emigration to Australia in 1950.
I have no recollection of Nevil having worked at De Havillands, in fact when Airspeeds were taken over by De Havillands in the mid forties, he had ceased to have any connection with the firm. My Apprentice papers however, do bear the Airspeed logo.

Neville Shute was also a prolific author, writing many books with an aviation theme . all of them a darn good read, and available from Amazon/kindle at a very good price.
stumpy lord

Jordanwade

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This is my grandpa. I’d love to hear anymore information or stories you talked about with him. He was THE man! He made this bike and side car from “borrowed parts” and it was used as the family transport with Dorothy his son Graham (my dad) and his sister Lesley
This is Terry Wade long time serving at guy at Vincent's, he gave me this pic. two years back, he made this bike from parts laying around at the factory in 1956/7 Terry died last year,, his wife was also a Vincent Employee, rego looks to be LRO489 Terry was a RAF pilot in the last war spending most of his time in North Africa, so I would say he could handle thi