Domiracernick - Inherited Rapide

Domiracernick

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Don't have your timing cover blasted if you can avoid it, you will spend the rest of eternity trying to get the grit out of the oil passageways etc, you're ok with the gearbox cover as it's just a cover, not the gearbox itself. You have to remove the clutch to get the primary cover off. Better off just cleaning them all up manually.
Sorry im didnt make myself clear i was getting the internals of the tank softly blasted to remove all the debris.The guys also polishes chrome etc .. Was thinking that for the 2x larger cases and the valve tops all polished up. Also any idea on where to get new valve cap top seals ?

Last edited:

Normski

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, if removing the primary chaincase cover it’s important to slacken off the primary chain adjustment first.
It’s very helpful to have the books - Know thy Beast by Stevens, Vincent Motorcycles by Richardson and a parts manual all available from the club spares shop.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
yes i noticed this method on a few videos.. seems alot easier on the knees !! thanks
do not try to start it without using the valve lifter . Beacuse if the ratchet slips you could break you leg . this is not a joke. i know of somene new to Vincents used to start his bike this way . The kick start ratchet sipped and he broke his leg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Also removing the cover requires disassembling the clutch. You should go easy on trying to take apart too much; there's many a barn find Vin with a dismantled clutch. These bikes are wonderful to ride, but there are many adjustments and "careful assembly" and thorough understanding of the machine is required.

Diagram.png

Domiracernick

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Also removing the cover requires disassembling the clutch. You should go easy on trying to take apart too much; there's many a barn find Vin with a dismantled clutch. These bikes are wonderful to ride, but there are many adjustments and "careful assembly" and thorough understanding of the machine is required.

View attachment 39600
yup looks like the case will be staying in situ and getting polished whilst on the bike ! thanks