Domiracernick - Inherited Rapide

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@Domiracernick - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

Domiracernick

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Good morning and thank you for allowing me to join the group. I have inherited a Rapide over 10 years ago which has not turned the wheel since. It was a usable running motorcycle and is 100% complete. But I need to go through it myself to check everything before firing her back up. I took the tank off yesterday and noticed internally it will need blasting because it looks like it has been lined with the resin which has broken down. It looks like the tank has been opened up underneath in the past to do this. The tank is not in the best condition so I was wondering whether to purchase one painted from eBay. I’m not too worried about the bike being concourse condition as i intend to use it not show it. Plus also I don’t have the funds to give it to somebody so will be working on it myself as I can use a set of spanners. Just looking forward to the kickstart launching me through the garage roof!!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Good morning and thank you for allowing me to join the group. I have inherited a Rapide over 10 years ago which has not turned the wheel since. It was a usable running motorcycle and is 100% complete. But I need to go through it myself to check everything before firing her back up. I took the tank off yesterday and noticed internally it will need blasting because it looks like it has been lined with the resin which has broken down. It looks like the tank has been opened up underneath in the past to do this. The tank is not in the best condition so I was wondering whether to purchase one painted from eBay. I’m not too worried about the bike being concourse condition as i intend to use it not show it. Plus also I don’t have the funds to give it to somebody so will be working on it myself as I can use a set of spanners. Just looking forward to the kickstart launching me through the garage roof!!
You can use solvents to remove old tank liners. Do a search on petrol tank liner removal/solvents or similar. Make sure there are no leaks before you have any tank painted and if you buy a new tank unpainted check that it fits properly before painting too. Paint finishes must be ethanol proof. It is also a good idea to have fuel filters in your supply line. My Rapide has never kicked me back in 50,00 miles, set up properly A Vincent is easy to start. Doing your own spanner work will save money is personally very rewarding. If you are not sure about things you will get lots of help on this forum.
Get it going and ride it. The Vincent riding experience is unique and surprisingly good for a bike that is probably 70 years old.

Domiracernick

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You can use solvents to remove old tank liners. Do a search on petrol tank liner removal/solvents or similar. Make sure there are no leaks before you have any tank painted and if you buy a new tank unpainted check that it fits properly before painting too. Paint finishes must be ethanol proof. It is also a good idea to have fuel filters in your supply line. My Rapide has never kicked me back in 50,00 miles, set up properly A Vincent is easy to start. Doing your own spanner work will save money is personally very rewarding. If you are not sure about things you will get lots of help on this forum.
Get it going and ride it. The Vincent riding experience is unique and surprisingly good for a bike that is probably 70 years old.
Thanks I will take a look at the removers today .. once stripped back do most reline them again ? I was going to let a local guy very lightly blast the inside to remove, but will investigate further. The starting process doesn't scare me a much as i thought after watching some you tube tips on using the decompress level 1st..

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks I will take a look at the removers today .. once stripped back do most reline them again ? I was going to let a local guy very lightly blast the inside to remove, but will investigate further. The starting process doesn't scare me a much as i thought after watching some you tube tips on using the decompress level 1st..
Don't bother messing about trying to ease it over the top on on compression. Just pull in the valve lifter and give it a good swing and let go of the valve lifter near the bottom of the kickstart stroke. The inertia of the flywheels does the rest of the work. Might take a few practice swings to get the swing, let go point co-ordinated. Easier on your leg and knees.

Domiracernick

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Don't bother messing about trying to ease it over the top on on compression. Just pull in the valve lifter and give it a good swing and let go of the valve lifter near the bottom of the kickstart stroke. The inertia of the flywheels does the rest of the work. Might take a few practice swings to get the swing, let go point co-ordinated. Easier on your leg and knees.
yes i noticed this method on a few videos.. seems alot easier on the knees !! thanks

Domiracernick

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Planning a trip to my guy to look at the tank for a little blast to rid the mess inside.. So I was thinking of whilst im there giving him my exhaust and crank case covers.. If i drain the oil can these be removed easy without springs flying all over the garage ?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Don't have your timing cover blasted if you can avoid it, you will spend the rest of eternity trying to get the grit out of the oil passageways etc, you're ok with the gearbox cover as it's just a cover, not the gearbox itself. You have to remove the clutch to get the primary cover off. Better off just cleaning them all up manually.