Does anyone offer rides on a vincent black lightning

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Trev, I have opposable thumbs but not toes. I am led to believe there are people in Tasmania and Skye that have the latter... but I have no proof!

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Buzz/Eric,

If either/both of you are at Bike Week this year and in need of a Vin fix, we always gather for a Vin dinner at Stavros at 1800 hours, corner of Beach St and Orange Ave (map here). As many as 8-10 machines on hand some years along with 30 or so people many of which long time owners and know sages.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
The physical differences between Rapide and Shadow (polished ports, slightly bigger carbs) don't make 10 bhp difference. What did make a difference was selective assembly. So it is not unrealistic to think of a continuum of twins, ranging all the way from piss-poor Rapides to super-duper Shadows, and in the middle a grey area where a good Rapide might actually be BETTER than a poor Shadow. Apparently the most critical things for performance were the camshafts, with good ones spot on and poor ones not. I have Gary Robinson "105" cams in my Shadow, and Gary uses a jig to position cams in wheels to ensure correct timing. I also have a set of NOS Lightning cams, untried, but which have been reset by Bill Jean (I think) so that the timing is correct. This makes me think that one thing that really OUGHT to be done "to avoid disappointment" is to check that valve timing is what it ought to be, and if it isn't, get it fixed.

Actually I am hoping to have my Rapide up and running with me on it by this Summer. But would like to feel the difference between a Rapide and a Black Shadow.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Howdy Buzz/Eric,

If either/both of you are at Bike Week this year and in need of a Vin fix, we always gather for a Vin dinner at Stavros at 1800 hours, corner of Beach St and Orange Ave 8-10 machines on hand some years along with 30 or so people many of which long time owners and know sages.

Thanks Peter but I have yet to make it bike week and if I do I hope to ride and the Shadow simply would not be the bike to ride out of PA to FLA in March...Maybe one year but not this one..

Cheers,
Eric

Howard

VOC Member
Did we lose track of the original thread here? We seem to be short of contributors from UK.

If someone will lend me a Lightning with pillion fittings I'll gladly pop down to Essex and take the young man for a spin.

H