Does anyone offer rides on a vincent black lightning

tom walton

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi - my Dad lusted after a Vincent Black Lightning as a young lad but could never afford one- he is now 67 and before he is too old I would like to arrange for him to ride pillion on one- is there anyone that offers such a service- he is based in southern england- obviously I would be happy to pay and it would make a dream come true for him- please contact me if you can help
many thanks
Tom Walton

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I doubt there is a Black Lightning in the world that has pillion pegs!! What about a Black Shadow?? That should be do-able. There should be someone in Essex is would do it for a pint...LOL

Ducdude

VOC Member
If you can get him the East Coast of the States in the summer I will give him a ride on the back of My 52 shadow for the shear joy of it..

Cheers,
Eric

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Actually I am hoping to have my Rapide up and running with me on it by this Summer. But would like to feel the difference between a Rapide and a Black Shadow.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Anything is possible Buzz.....But my Shadow may not be the best to compare with....The motor has not been rebuilt and so it remains as it was in 1952...She only has 7500 miles on her and the compression is quite good with 150psi+/-6psi in each cylinder...I just finished 6 months going over her a few weeks ago prior to which she sat abandoned in a basement for 40 years...I have yet to get her out on the road to dial her in. I think the 32mm carbs a tad rich with the 210 jets but with out a good running on the highway for an hour or so there really is no sense in changing anything ...She has Thornton suspension front and rear and a BTH mag so I am sure she will feel differently then a bike not so fitted...Like I said anything is possible..

Eric

Buzz Kanter

Non-VOC Member
Anything is possible Buzz.....But my Shadow may not be the best to compare with....The motor has not been rebuilt and so it remains as it was in 1952...She only has 7500 miles on her and the compression is quite good with 150psi+/-6psi in each cylinder...I just finished 6 months going over her a few weeks ago prior to which she sat abandoned in a basement for 40 years...I have yet to get her out on the road to dial her in. I think the 32mm carbs a tad rich with the 210 jets but with out a good running on the highway for an hour or so there really is no sense in changing anything ...She has Thornton suspension front and rear and a BTH mag so I am sure she will feel differently then a bike not so fitted...Like I said anything is possible..

Eric

Sounds like you have a bit of work ahead of you. I am hoping to attend (on my Vincent) the International Rally - at least some of it.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Sounds like you have a bit of work ahead of you. I am hoping to attend (on my Vincent) the International Rally - at least some of it.

The work has been nonstop since July 10 every spare min and week end in the garage, so the big stuff I know about or was told about as well as the other stuff I found has been tended to and resealed from the Primary case to the timing case from the front wheel bearings to the rear wheel bearings and every thing in-between with the exception of the engine internals as the motor turned up ok....So other then a bit of small carb adjusting and fine tuning the suspension and perhaps new brake cables I hope to be done with the spanners and riding in the spring. Perhaps I will see you at the Int Rally as it is very close to where I live...An easy ride from my garage..

Eric

Albervin

VOC Member
You guys are so full of enthusiasm!!!! I have just removed everything rear of my gearbox!! After 10 years of riding my "B" Rapide for well over 12,000 miles I have taken the "C" RFM off and started to replace it with a "B" unit. So, the bearings in the pivot and the wheel are shot. Nuts are missing. The mudguard is splitting. The spring box mounting stud is bent. Paint needs to be touched up. And my nails are a mess!!!!!!!!!!!

clevtrev

VOC Member
You guys are so full of enthusiasm!!!! I have just removed everything rear of my gearbox!! After 10 years of riding my "B" Rapide for well over 12,000 miles I have taken the "C" RFM off and started to replace it with a "B" unit. So, the bearings in the pivot and the wheel are shot. Nuts are missing. The mudguard is splitting. The spring box mounting stud is bent. Paint needs to be touched up. And my nails are a mess!!!!!!!!!!!
Fingernails or toenails ?