Dodgy circlips slots in driveside bearing housing

SteveF

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
After being nagged by a friend to get the engine back together I've started measuring things and looking a the parts lists and the really useful drawing on the mainshaft assembly on thevincent.com
I will be replacing all the bearings. They are out already. To my dismay it seems that the circlip slot between ET19 and ET91(E91) is much wider than the circlip itself. The slot appears to be about 5.65mm (1/4") wide rather than the 2mm I measured the circlips to be. The width between the inner edges of the circlips slots is the correct 16mm (5/8").
Seems to me that if I simply reassemble as per the drawing then the ball bearing won't be firmly held and the flywheels could potentially wander about in the cases.
I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I don't particularly want to have the slot welded up and then machined out as getting that done here will be terrifyingly expensive.
Am I worrying unreasonably or do I need to do something and if so, can anyone suggest a sensible fix?

Cheers - Steve

Attachments

• Vincent Bearings.jpeg
    Vincent Bearings.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 59
  • BearingPhoto.jpg
    BearingPhoto.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 53

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Add another circlip my handsome and cork in a ring of soft iron wire, it won't go any where.
bananaman

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Hmm, if I add a second circlip, won't that prevent ET19 from being in the right place? I guess I could thin ET19 so that its inner face ends up in the right place.
Seems do-able, I'll order some extra circlips...

Cheers - Steve

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Oh, how bizarre is that...
I just measured it again to be sure I wasn't going insane and the one I took out really is 16mm. Looks like dismantling the thing was a better plan than I thought.
I'll just get on and order the parts, in that case.
Thanks Trevor, that has really helped.

Cheers - Steve