Documents for DVLA

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What documents will I need when the time comes?

I have a matching numbers bike and dating certificate from the VOC. The bike (a basket-case) came with registration plates front and back, and a 1960 MOT certificate (edit - it came with a tax disc) , but no registration documents.

Recently I emailed the keepers of the East Sussex registration data, who say they have records of my bike's original registration. I can have a copy for a fee of £21.01. Will that be useful / necessary when applying to the DVLA to re-register the bike, and perhaps get the original registration number?

Paul

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Paul
If you send me a private message or click the link in the black header above and include your bike details and email address I will then send you a "how to" document. If East Sussex have the original records and those records list the registration and frame number (the same number as stamped on your headstock) then you should be able to reclaim the registration through a DVLA V765 application, but it needs to be done through me as I have to complete some of the forms.
Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar

nkt267

VOC Member
What documents will I need when the time comes?

I have a matching numbers bike and dating certificate from the VOC. The bike (a basket-case) came with registration plates front and back, and a 1960 MOT certificate (edit - it came with a tax disc) , but no registration documents.

Recently I emailed the keepers of the East Sussex registration data, who say they have records of my bike's original registration. I can have a copy for a fee of £21.01. Will that be useful / necessary when applying to the DVLA to re-register the bike, and perhaps get the original registration number?

Paul
when i reclaimed NKT267 with the help of the club i sent the paperwork from the Kent archives and it went through with no trouble..John

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Years ago the DVLA used to accept virtually any proof of a registration's previous existance and as an example they would accept an old vehicle tax disc, but the problem with that is it doesn't prove that registration belonged to a specific machine, just that the registration was used at some time. So the DVLA changed their rules and for at least the last 5 years they have required documentitive prove that a frame number was linked to a registration and this is usually in the form of the old council RF60 logbook or authenticated copies of the issuing councils registration paperwork in their archives. Occasionally other documents can be used but this needs to be checked on a case by case basis.

Now the problem with the issuing council records is some councils in their wisdom destroyed their records in the 1980's and so no longer exist. The other problem is some surviving council records just list the reg and don't list a frame number against it and in these cases the DVLA will not accept this as proof as it doesn't link the frame number to the registration.

Unfortunately the Vincent factory records documents don't record registrations as those were applied for by the dealerships after the factory.

Simon

highbury731

VOC Member
Sadly the East Sussex records do not include the engine or frame numbers. They are confident that their records are sufficient for the DVLA. Maybe in the past...... What I have is the two registration plates, a 1960 tax disc, but no registration document, and a matching numbers bike which I can't actually prove is connected to the plates and disc.
So, I can't actually prove to the DVLA that the plates belong to my bike.
Paul