Do your due diligence!

carlm

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A guy I know recently bought a beautifully restored matching numbers Shadow for a "fortune" as he puts it Must have been quite a lot of money, 'cause I know he's got a lot more disposable income than I have. When he got it home he noticed something funny about the engine serial number. So he got in touch with the Machine Registrar who asked him for the crankcase mating numbers. The ccm numbers did not match the serial number which had in fact been restamped. His "matching numbers" Shadow has Rapide crankcases.

I guess you know what the lesson is.
Carl

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If that is the bike a guy in So Cal (not sure if he is/was in the Vincent section) offered for sale recently, we tried to warn people.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The guy should be happier that he has Rapide castings and not B.S. ones as a great deal of Shadows had porous castings, which were put in a shellac tub a vacuuming pulled out the air and then released and the shellac filled the void spaces, cleaned off and stoved black after having a coat of yellow chromate. Mr Vincent told me he didn't make as much on the BS's because of the work involved.Ask David Bowen he was there. I'm a Rapide fan as the beauty of clean metal can't be beaten , surgeons don't use painted scalpels , so don't put overcoats on hot running beasts .
bananaman

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
I know I'm slow (it's dyslexia now, before it was retard) so every letter is taken in separately so how come since the new forum system has spelt my name wrongly and a new member after fifty years on continuity ! ? What is it coming to, Mail on Saturday page 3 Google warning, print all digital photos or loose them , parchment & paper will outlast digital.
bananaman

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
He may take some small solace in the nonporous castings, but I'll bet he would prefer to have paid for a real Black Shadow, or perhaps no bike and a less poorous bank account!

Glen

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
so how come since the new forum system has spelt my name wrongly and a new member after fifty years on continuity ! ?
bananaman

Marcus, somehow you joined the forum a second time. Your original forum name is there, spelt correctly. Try logging out, then back in under your original user name.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
I keep having to sign in if I close the tabs so generally I leave them open, now signed in again but can not test till I post, if this doesn't work I'll leave it till brother comes or we meet up again Steve, thank you for trying to put me right.
Going bananas

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Marcus before Shadows came out the Rapid porous Crankcases were put in a water tank , water and Isinglass ? my mother during the war use to put Eggs in it they lasted for ever