Do People Have Any Sense?

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Years ago Phil Irving told me that when he and Edith were leaving town on the bus there were still people running alongside the bus shouting technical questions at him through the open window. He couldn't believe it.
Now I am getting something similar here with people continuing to demand I write the details of this machine after I have made it clear that this particular chore would take 300 pages.
And secondly what right does anyone have to request a major project for free? If I wrote the damn book most people wouldn't understand it unless they were a motorcycle engineer of the modern school and a machinist. Rip

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain

Pierre de Fermat 1673

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Pete,
But when Phil told me this with a look of disgust on his face..... I didn't doubt him for a second!

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I was once brave enough to ask Phil. a question to which he gave a considered, succinct and lucid reply, but mostly I just shut up and tried to remember what he was saying. There is an apocryphal tale of him fettling Lex Davidson's hill-climb car when some know-all was standing around saying "the centrifugal clutch on the Vincent is no good, the cams need an extra oil feed from the return line, the timing gear is noisy, they eat pistons" and other such drivel. after about twenty minutes of this, which Phil endured in silence the bush mechanic suddenly looked at P.E.I. and said, "say, you're Phil Irving, aren't you?" "Yair," said Phil. "and that's the first thing you've got right in twenty minutes!"

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I agree . Never was another , before or since . I questioned him every evening til wee hours every evening for a week til he begged off in a weak croak , his voice near gone . Twice he brought me to tears lashing out at me when my question was poorly thought out .
Really hurt I had to leave the room to regain my composure . Clearly he disliked sloppy thinking , had little patience for it .
I absorbed much , taped much and learned to tighten up my thinking which I hope stayed with me .
Bill Hoddinott and I put on a big banquet for Phil and Edith , rented out a huge room in a fine restarount and invited lots of friends and the local Dealers shop mechanics who knew me from the drag strip and riding over on my Shadow . I had a great pool of pals in Norfolk . Served steaks with all the trimmings . Marvelous time had by all .
Phil stood and gave a talk on racing motors and answered questions from all . I have a nice shot of Phil and Edith taken that evening if anyone is interested .
Being with these two in my home was a high point in my life , right up there with my visit to the Works . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
The two times Phil and Edith were at my house the firm rule I made clear to my guests was that Vincents were not to be mentioned unless Phil himself brought up the issue. It worked like a charm and Phil got to inform us of all the things he and Edith were interested in.
Phil's visit to my shop consisted of me opening the door.... pointing inside.... and saying Hey Phil, look ...Vincents! Shutting the door and suggesting we get back to the kitchen for another beer to which Phil firmly agreed. I even got to hear about the R-101 wobbling
over London. By my knowing that Phil was sick of Vincent brain-picking by now ...... I got to hear some REALLY facilitating stuff! Whadda guy he was.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
While staying with me Phil and Edith visited my Classic business and watched as my 6 employees worked on Vincents and many other machines . Examined the motor work closely and saw a Red Touring Rapide being finished , a complete restoration .
A few days later they left to stay with Glenn Shriver . The next issue of Shrivers great news letter " Stop " , more a small newspaper , carried news of their visit and doings . And this note Irving told Glen , that Big SIDS put out the closest thing to an original new Vincent available anywhere in the world . Had me on cloud nine ! Photos if anyone wants to see the machine , it's a stunner and ran a treat . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Which is my point exactly...... he knew precisely what I had done for him by giving him the chance to be himself as HE wanted to be and get a good break from peoples need to use him as a bragging point. For this Phil thanked me personally.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
PEI and I were great friends til his passing , spoke and traded letters back and forth . He awarded me the IRVING PEN for technical writing in 1962 , for a four part coverage on The Vincent DRAGSTER . I came to his assistance in a moment of dire need , was able to pull him through it . Nothing was more important to me . Ask Edith if you doubt this . Sid .