K: Tools Do I need a metal turning lathe?

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You can always make space.
ABE87838-C60A-4E06-A888-E686A270551D.jpeg

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Danno,
I don't know where in Hertfordshire you are, but there are a number of us in the area who will always help for beer tokens.
I'm just north of Royston, there is John Coates in Old Welwyn who might help, there is Bob Culver in Letchworth.

If I can be of help just shout.

Neil

PS
I've a Colchester Chipmaster 5x20 with both 3 and 4 jaw chucks plus a Harrison baby universal Mill

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno,
I don't know where in Hertfordshire you are, but there are a number of us in the area who will always help for beer tokens.
I'm just north of Royston, there is John Coates in Old Welwyn who might help, there is Bob Culver in Letchworth.

If I can be of help just shout.

Neil

PS
I've a Colchester Chipmaster 5x20 with both 3 and 4 jaw chucks plus a Harrison baby universal Mill

Thanks.
I’m near Duxford.
I’ve been to Bob’s place. My father had some Vin work done there years ago when
he was in the process of doing the engine.

powella

Non-VOC Member
Hi
I’m currently trying to make some sort of workshop out of my single garage. Got 3 bikes including a C Rapide.
I had to sell a rather dated pillar drill, a wood turning lathe and a large free standing circular saw
due to house move.
Now sort of starting again as regards useful machines an I’m down to an electric grinder
and free standing disc/belt sander.
Have managed so far without a metal turning lathe but I do need another drill or mill drill.
There’s quite a few hobby type machines that would fit the bill and a fairly small footprint is important.
Someone suggested that the Clarke CL500M lathe and mill drill from Machine Mart is good value and would save getting seperate machines. Could just about accommodate one.
Otherwise just a hobby mill drill would do as I’ll have a solid bench and vice for basic thread tapping and general use.
I guess many Vin owners are kitted out with lathes.
Any ideas appreciated.
Hi
I have a Myford ML7 with loads of tooling and has had a brand new Screw Cutting Gearbox fitted.
Has done many a job over the years and saved a fortune in parts.
Would you like Photo`s ?
Regards Alan Swansea 01792234598

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi
I have a Myford ML7 with loads of tooling and has had a brand new Screw Cutting Gearbox fitted.
Has done many a job over the years and saved a fortune in parts.
Would you like Photo`s ?
Regards Alan Swansea 01792234598

Thanks. That’s a good solid lathe but will have to pass on it I think. Got too much stuff at the mo and need to get a workshop designed with bench, shelves etc.
No doubt it would be capable of a better finish than a modern mini lathe but I’d probably ‘make do’ with one of these.

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
Danno,
Have a look at
All the mini lathes seem to be made in China but the ones supplied by Arceurotrade have got quite a reasonable reputation & the company seem quite good if you look on any of the model Engineering forums.
A friend has the SC6 & it seems far more robust then mine.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks.
The Sieg lathes look good. The SC3 is the right size for my workshop. 7” swing,16”
between centres and Hi- torque would be a better bet than the Clark CL300M (12” centre to centre).
Half the price and weight of the SC4.

highbury731

VOC Member
Lathes are indispensable in my opinion. Couldn't live without one truthfully.

When I was in High School if my metal shop teacher, Mr. Thomas Peters, noticed a student leave a chuck key in any machine, he would take the key, walk out to the football field and throw the key as far as he could. Then he would return to the shop, take the offending student out to the edge of the field and tell him not to return to class until the key was found. Failure to return to class with the key after three days meant a failure for that semester. If he didn't catch you before you started the machine and the key went flying, well that was a instant failure for the semester. Mr. Peters explained all this in the first week of class so you had plenty of time to look for a new elective. Failing a semester in the first year meant you couldn't get a co-op position during your senior year. Failing more than a single class in any semester or failing more than one semester of a year long class meant repeating that year of high school. With that hanging over your head you become conscious of where the chuck key is at, better to forget where you put it on the bench than have is tossed into a field or fly across the shop. Mr. Peters would let us make all sorts of mistakes, get away with all sorts of things, but that was the unforgivable sin. It didn't matter if it was a key in a drill chuck in a tail stock, same rule applied.
Draconian, but with good reason.
I had a metal-work instructor explain to the class about his own instructor. The man lacked his left thumb, because he had left the key in the chuck, and started the lathe. His hand was on it at the time - not something you do more than once. He also explained about ties. His own was always worn, but ALWAYS tucked away, so that it couldn't get caught in a lathe. A co-worker once got his caught in a machine, and he had managed to stop it JUST before it started chewing his head up. That's what the large STOP button is there for....
Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
I have never worn a ring since I was 17
When I was an engineering apprentice at a switchgear firm we drilled a lot of copper bus bars when I did my month on the drilling line the guy next door had a ribbon of copper swarf complete with one ragged torn and hot edge get between the ring and his finger I was surprised how small the finger bone is....