K: Tools Do I need a metal turning lathe?

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I agree with Bernd, but if you do go for an older machine you ought to have a fully sorted engineer with you to take a look at it. When I started I didn't know an end mill from a slot drill but my CL500M has allowed me to teach myself a lot without too much hassle, (and a little help from my friends). Cheers, Stu.

Thanks.
Will probably go for a new one.
Just wondering if you find the drill to be sufficient for most work.
I’m used to a big old 1940’s one with a large table and plenty of room around it.
Had to sell unfortunately. Powerful though.

Attachments

• 20170603_125002.jpg
    20170603_125002.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
Thanks.
Will probably go for a new one.
Just wondering if you find the drill to be sufficient for most work.
I’m used to big old 1940’s one with a large table and plenty of room around it.
Had to sell unfortunately. Powerful though.
It's good enough for all the Vincent work I do, I suppose it depends what you're used to, I've never had a job on my bike that beat it. Cheers Stu.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
One thing lacking on almost all low cost import lathes is the ability to cut (single point) British Standard threads. Especially 1/4 BSF and most BSC (cycle threads) which are both 26 tpi. So making them, you'll have to use taps and dies.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Starting work as a fitter / turner apprentice and using the skills endlessly at sea, saving the company a lot of $'s (American they were) and still enjoy the creativity of the beast as it's the daddy of all machines, having five machines at my disposal ( all chuck out's from a factory Harvey bought, the Myford Super 7 "B"is the handiest one as it's got a wonderful selection of attachments and 3 phase put into the house in 1991. How people manage without them I do not know.
bananaman.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Lathes worry me, Along with everything else :D .
I can still see Smithy, Ron's mate, Trying to hold himself away from the Lathe,
While His big floppy Jumper was being wrapped around something and pulling Him closer !!.
Ron and me were in the shed, And I think Ron got to the switch,
Smithy had to use two hands to hold himself away !!.
That and leaving the Key in the Chuck, Not good ideas .

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
This 1944 Monarch is a treat to operate. Prior to getting the Monarch I used a Taiwan copy of a Southbend. I still use this lathe for some things.
It's a very nice little lathe with DRO and quick change. It can do quite a lot, but the Monarch has spoiled me. The reversing lead screw makes threading very easy and fast. It's not difficult to cut perfect threads on this machine.
Screenshot_20181228-082237.png

One other big difference between these lathes is the cut finish quality. With weight comes rigidity.
Everything coming off the Monarch looks like a mirror.

danno

Non-VOC Member
One thing lacking on almost all low cost import lathes is the ability to cut (single point) British Standard threads. Especially 1/4 BSF and most BSC (cycle threads) which are both 26 tpi. So making them, you'll have to use taps and dies.

Thanks, useful to know.
I guess the RPM isn’t low enough. Thought maybe a lathe could lessen the need
for the numerous taps and dies I have.
Just looking at the manual of the Clarke CL300M, it mentions imperial thread cutting and includes 26tpi.

Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
You can use your taps and dies in the lathe to cut threads in/on your workpiece - at the lowest speed setting and with your favourite greasy lubricant. Great for making studs or nuts....
Peter B

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Thanks, useful to know.
I guess the RPM isn’t low enough. Thought maybe a lathe could lessen the need
for the numerous taps and dies I have.
Just looking at the manual of the Clarke CL300M, it mentions imperial thread cutting and includes 26tpi.
It's nowhere near the machine the Clarke CL500M like Stu has. The 300M has the useless for a lathe DC brushless motor and an electronic speed control that won't handle the low speed power you need and want even with taps and dies. You'll play hell cutting threads with it.

danno

Non-VOC Member
It's nowhere near the machine the Clarke CL500M like Stu has. The 300M has the useless for a lathe DC brushless motor and an electronic speed control that won't handle the low speed power you need and want even with taps and dies. You'll play hell cutting threads with it.

Thanks.
Helps narrow it down.
Judging by the weight of this one, It’ll have the same:

I was chatting to a guy last year who has the same BMW as me and he was suprised I didn’t have a lathe, being a Vincent owner.
Got me thinking that one would be useful.
I really like the compact size of the CL300M and could easily get a seperate
hobby mill and mount in on another bench.
I’m designing one to mount an electric grinder, vice and a hobby mill.

Looks like a small lathe though with no grunt would quickly fall short. The Sieg mentioned earlier is a possibility as a stand-alone.