E: Engine Do Big Bore Cylinder Muffs Need Special Head Studs?

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,
Well, everything is in the title.
There is no way for the standard ET55/2 studs to go through the holes in my Maughan's Big Bore muff and liner kit as they are to small at 10,9mm.
I've made a quick search but I wasn't able to find mentions of special studs in any of the forums here.
Thanks in advance for any info.

vibrac

VOC Member
The limitation is in the muff design
As I recall the first big bore muffs had standard size Holes I still have one. Someone somewhere decided on the 2 piece smaller diameter studs to cure some problem I never encountered, and I raced it for years with standard studs
I think my first big bore was from Ron or Bob Dunn.

ericg

VOC Member
I did send an email yesterday but I'm a bit used to the way they manage communication snail mail wouldn't be slower! So I'm not expecting a quick reply.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Neal Videan has them........they use a 10 mm fine thread in the center.........torque them up as per normal 30 32 max not 45 to 50 as quoted by some Vincent folk. You can and will pull the case threads out.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hi All,
Well, everything is in the title.
There is no way for the standard ET55/2 studs to go through the holes in my Maughan's Big Bore muff and liner kit as they are to small at 10,9mm.
I've made a quick search but I wasn't able to find mentions of special studs in any of the forums here.
Thanks in advance for any info.
That's interesting, So if they do the barrels, They must do Pistons ?, Which Vibrac wants ??.

ericg

VOC Member
Neal Videan has them........they use a 10 mm fine thread in the center.........torque them up as per normal 30 32 max not 45 to 50 as quoted by some Vincent folk. You can and will pull the case threads out.
Thanks Greg, so I guess they must be two parts...?