ET: Engine (Twin) dkx2a distributor cam

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The distributor cam is a long thing with pegs, If I remember my Dolphin was just a cam, Bit like the rita ??.
But I think you may be able cut it down and drill to fit the Dolphin ?.
And I think the 2 sets of points were from Norton ??.
If you search on here for Dolphin there was some photos of it in bits ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Second thoughts Oldhaven put photos and the cam looks smaller to me, So maybe no good.
Just found it in search !.
I didn't get on well with the Dolphin, Found the points were always needing resetting and the cable sticks,
But some people like it.

Cyborg

VOC Member
The cam might actually be hiding somewhere. I could probably make one, but at my current speed it would consume too much time. Cost/benefit ratio would be in the crapper. If I come to my senses, I’ll just stuff a Power Arc system in there and call it done. The cable will no longer be required..... no adjusting points and it’s programable.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Did you see Oldhavens photos, It is a very simple cam, I thought you were building a Comet ?,
I do prefer something I could maybe ? Fix on the road side, My Rita scares the wotnot off me,
If you kick it over without the H.T. lead on, It Pops the Magic Box !!.

robin stafford

Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone out there have a spare points cam for a Dolphin setup?
I wonder if they used the same cam, in which case, you could add me to the list.
Hi i have got complete dolphin points back plate new condensers cam rev counter drive and right angle drive if your interested

Cyborg

VOC Member
Did you see Oldhavens photos, It is a very simple cam, I thought you were building a Comet ?,
I do prefer something I could maybe ? Fix on the road side, My Rita scares the wotnot off me,
If you kick it over without the H.T. lead on, It Pops the Magic Box !!.

Yes building the Comet, but getting close to finishing it (I think). If I can get through making the seat without going mad. You’d think it would be a relatively simple task, but not so in my case.
The next project is a pile of lumps that I inherited from my brother. It was his intention to build a Lightning replica, so I’ll stick to that plan. I’m in the process of making a KVF TT knockoff for it, so just wanted the cam to make the Dolphin complete. Trying not to get too deep into the twin before the Comet is done. Just collecting the obscure bits.
I actually should have used the Dolphin on the Comet instead of converting a distributor.
I’ll have a look for Oldhaven’s photos. Probably seen them before, but no recollection....

Cyborg

VOC Member
Hi i have got complete dolphin points back plate new condensers cam rev counter drive and right angle drive if your interested
Thanks for the offer, but as per the above post, I only need the cam. I’d like the angle drive, but don’t need it, and trying to keep my addiction under control.

robin stafford

Forum User
VOC Member
When I built my series C twin in 2016 I did not want a mag so I opted for a lucas distributor when wiring the low tension lead I tried to find out where the wire ran on the series d but could not find out. I did not like the wire running down by the front cylinder it did not the look right. In the end the wire was run and clipped to the crank case in a protective wrap. Does any body know where the wire runs

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think you could make a cam easy for the Dolphin.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 18.35.03.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 18.35.03.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 18