DIY Powder Coating

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I didn't know you could polish it to alter the shade,
As I said I have never bothered, But Ron was pleased with what He got done, And very cheap,
He had one local, When He was in Devon.
I don't like sending things out, I just use a rattle can, Never been a Conkers Man !.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I've had several items on various bike powder coated. The results look great. How ever having had a couple of frames done and then had to do repairs on them from acid leaking from a damaged batteries. I didn't feel inclined to incur the expense in both time and money of stripping the bike down to strip the frame of power coat and re powder coating it. I am not into the concours thing either. I've got the equipment to do spray paint but setting up the garage by covering everything to protect it from over spray is time consuming to say the least. I tend to go the rattle can route as well. I think my results are passable, I'm satisfied with them. I'll spend my time getting my surface clean and smooth and use the rattle can primer. Let it harden a week or more, then rub is down with increasing grits of wet and dry. Then apply color and let that dry a week or more and rub down the same way followed by paint polishing compound in finer and finer grades.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am just doing a non Vincent tank I have had enough of expensive tank paint jobs dying under the dreaded ethanol vapor eg.
1610565734373.png

so I have had this one lightly powder coated at the back end of a commercial run at a local factory its as I hoped smooth and a little dull
Now I have some lining completed (3 M mask tape paint center strip and remove) my plan is to (once its warm outside!) to use a two pack rattle can to give it a petrol proof and gloss coat and before the can goes off add transfers and lightly cover

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I've had several items on various bike powder coated. The results look great. How ever having had a couple of frames done and then had to do repairs on them from acid leaking from a damaged batteries. I didn't feel inclined to incur the expense in both time and money of stripping the bike down to strip the frame of power coat and re powder coating it. I am not into the concours thing either. I've got the equipment to do spray paint but setting up the garage by covering everything to protect it from over spray is time consuming to say the least. I tend to go the rattle can route as well. I think my results are passable, I'm satisfied with them. I'll spend my time getting my surface clean and smooth and use the rattle can primer. Let it harden a week or more, then rub is down with increasing grits of wet and dry. Then apply color and let that dry a week or more and rub down the same way followed by paint polishing compound in finer and finer grades.
That's how I would like to paint !, But never have the time, I tend to rush things,
As long as it's OK " From a Distance " :D .

LoneStar

VOC Member
Never tried it, but Harbor Freight in the US offers this cheap home powder coating kit:

I suspect it would be at least as good as using WD40 lubricant to make the powder stick.

Cyborg

VOC Member
This is what I use. Seems like prices have dropped a bit since I bought it. I think the claim about minimal overspray is a bit of a stretch. I use a booth of sorts and wouldn’t dream of doing in an open shop.
These brakes were done.... if the stars are aligned you can get a decent coating without laying it on too thick. Just guessing, but I think some shops really lay it on in fear of having to touch it up or strip it and start over.

462F2254-BCF2-4494-9BAF-A42AA23AC4EB.jpeg

The plates for the rearsets and the switchbox are coated. Frame is epoxy and exhaust is ceramic. I couldn’t live with the reasets before.... they really did end up looking like they were a bit much. Anyway... I don’t think the powder coating looks too out of place next to the paint.

6684F7C2-EA22-4249-9029-05226EA6827D.jpeg