Distributor

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I was timing my recently rebuilt series D engine I noticed that the cam on the Distributor was 5 degrees out., the first cylinder was timed and the second was 5 degrees too late, I can adjust the error easily enough , but is there an easy way of removing te points cam without upsetting theoverall timing?

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Yes , the cam in the D Dist can be slid right out , it's two side pins enter the flyweight mechanism . Careful to get it back correctly . Note that the center screw holding the cam in position will screw out . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Jim, make a mark on the top side of the cam befor you take it off, And don't turn the engine over untill you have put it back . Try and see where the pins go into swivels on the bob weights, It can be tricky, Maybe take a photo as soon as you take the cam off, to see how the springs go, Take the cam off slow, if the springs are broken the swivels can come off with the cam. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Jim , You know you have to take the two outer screws out to take the base plate off first, Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
A tiny but very important point . When you remove the two side screws look into the hole where it went and one of these will show metal at its bottom , the other not . The one that does is serving as the ground contact for the points so must be clean of oil or sealant to do this important task . Easily overlooked creating a problem , lack of a electrical ground . No go . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk