Dispatch location?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There are a number of people in the UK who will reproduce tax disks as they were for any year or location in the UK . In the process of obtaining the original registration number if you are lucky some local authorities (in my case Oxfordshire and Bucks) had enough regard for history to retain their registration records when the DVLA took over, some Vandal authorities like London destroyed them. Thus from the factory records you find out what town it was sent to and from the registration record you find the day it was registered So my Triumph Trophy has a 1952 tax disc from Oxford for the day it was registered at the tax rates and design in use back then, and my 48 Douglas will have one from High Wycombe. in the case of the Douggie I really need a tax disk as the headlamp bracket is pressed with a B big hole for the tax disc!
Tax discs stopped being issued around the naughties

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Jackpot! Thanks to Roy the mechanic, I opened the holder and these were there.
The earlier ones have a stamp that says "Notts C. C.". There is one handwritten one (78) that has a stamp, "Arnold Notingham". All were attributed to NNW 706. does this mean one person owned it from 1970 to 1981 or does the plate number stay with the bike if is sold?
Sorry for the questions but here in the States you get new plates every time the bike is sold and only keep the same number plate during your ownership.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• rapide tax disks.JPG
    rapide tax disks.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 17

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
...here in the States you get new plates every time the bike is sold and only keep the same number plate during your ownership.
Depends on the state. In California, transfers within the state, the vehicle can retain the same plates.

vibrac

VOC Member
As an added bit of nostalgia the Triumph has a sticker from the dealer who originally sold it (Long gone Leyton's of Oxford)
Again it's amazing what people sell ( and buy!) Lots of UK and US dealer decals