Dispatch location?

Bobv07662

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Recently purchased a 1950 Rapide. On the Works Order Form after the Dispatch line there is Name line. In that spot is written Marsden Leeds. Was that a distributor, dealer or a person...or something else entirely?

Thanks and I hope that I won't be too much trouble with future questions.

G

Graham Smith

Recently purchased a 1950 Rapide. On the Works Order Form after the Dispatch line there is Name line. In that spot is written Marsden Leeds. Was that a distributor, dealer or a person...or something else entirely?

Thanks and I hope that I won't be too much trouble with future questions.

Please continue to post whatever questions you like on our forum @Bobv07662

That's what it's here for.

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Excellent! Now to find out how this bike ended up in California in 1996.
There is an English "tax tag" on the bike, would that have any information that could help solve that mystery?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Assuming the tax disc is for this bike then it should show the UK registration, date the tax expires and it should also have been stamped with the issuing office franking stamp. A decent high resolution photo of the tax disc would help.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Assuming the tax disc is for this bike then it should show the UK registration, date the tax expires and it should also have been stamped with the issuing office franking stamp. A decent high resolution photo of the tax disc would help.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar
The bike is presently in transit to New Jersey so this is the best photo I have of the tax disc at this time. I will update it after the bike arrives. Thank you for your insight!
Tax tag.jpg

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Bike was finally delivered to New Jersey. Haulbikes did a very professional job.
Here is a more detailed photo of the tax disc. Can anyone explain the text on it to me?
Thanks in advance, now the real fun begins.
IMG_2018 - Copy.JPG

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Well it is fairly self explanatory really, the N0948513 is a number used by the issuing authority and is not relevant to your bike, when purchased the tax disc was valid for one year, but only in complete month increments and in your case expired on the 30:11:81, the registration number the licence was issued to was NNW 706, so that was the British registration number, issued to BICYCLE 998cc Vincent, the cost of the years road fund licence (tax) was £24.00, the licence was purchased on 4.12.80, 0339 3431 0174 is a number used by the issuing authority and not relevant to your bike.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
If you unscrew the rim of the holder there might be some older ones , if they are hand written there will be a stamp in the lower circle with the location of the issuing post office.