• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Dispatch location?

Bobv07662

Website User
VOC Member
Recently purchased a 1950 Rapide. On the Works Order Form after the Dispatch line there is Name line. In that spot is written Marsden Leeds. Was that a distributor, dealer or a person...or something else entirely?

Thanks and I hope that I won't be too much trouble with future questions.

genedn

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I would imagine a dealer in Leeds who the
Bike was ordered through or sold by.

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Marsden was a motorcycle dealer in Leeds who sold least 62 Vincents according to the Vincent factory records and maybe more. Their locaton was Hyde Park Corner, Leeds.

Simon

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Recently purchased a 1950 Rapide. On the Works Order Form after the Dispatch line there is Name line. In that spot is written Marsden Leeds. Was that a distributor, dealer or a person...or something else entirely?

Thanks and I hope that I won't be too much trouble with future questions.
Please continue to post whatever questions you like on our forum @Bobv07662

That's what it's here for.

Bobv07662

Website User
VOC Member
Excellent! Now to find out how this bike ended up in California in 1996.
There is an English "tax tag" on the bike, would that have any information that could help solve that mystery?

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Assuming the tax disc is for this bike then it should show the UK registration, date the tax expires and it should also have been stamped with the issuing office franking stamp. A decent high resolution photo of the tax disc would help.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar

Bobv07662

Website User
VOC Member
Assuming the tax disc is for this bike then it should show the UK registration, date the tax expires and it should also have been stamped with the issuing office franking stamp. A decent high resolution photo of the tax disc would help.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar
The bike is presently in transit to New Jersey so this is the best photo I have of the tax disc at this time. I will update it after the bike arrives. Thank you for your insight!
Tax tag.jpg

Bobv07662

Website User
VOC Member
Bike was finally delivered to New Jersey. Haulbikes did a very professional job.
Here is a more detailed photo of the tax disc. Can anyone explain the text on it to me?
Thanks in advance, now the real fun begins.IMG_2018 - Copy.JPG

peter holmes

VOC Member
Well it is fairly self explanatory really, the N0948513 is a number used by the issuing authority and is not relevant to your bike, when purchased the tax disc was valid for one year, but only in complete month increments and in your case expired on the 30:11:81, the registration number the licence was issued to was NNW 706, so that was the British registration number, issued to BICYCLE 998cc Vincent, the cost of the years road fund licence (tax) was £24.00, the licence was purchased on 4.12.80, 0339 3431 0174 is a number used by the issuing authority and not relevant to your bike.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
If you unscrew the rim of the holder there might be some older ones , if they are hand written there will be a stamp in the lower circle with the location of the issuing post office.

vibrac

VOC Member
There are a number of people in the UK who will reproduce tax disks as they were for any year or location in the UK . In the process of obtaining the original registration number if you are lucky some local authorities (in my case Oxfordshire and Bucks) had enough regard for history to retain their registration records when the DVLA took over, some Vandal authorities like London destroyed them. Thus from the factory records you find out what town it was sent to and from the registration record you find the day it was registered So my Triumph Trophy has a 1952 tax disc from Oxford for the day it was registered at the tax rates and design in use back then, and my 48 Douglas will have one from High Wycombe. in the case of the Douggie I really need a tax disk as the headlamp bracket is pressed with a B big hole for the tax disc!
Tax discs stopped being issued around the naughties

Bobv07662

Website User
VOC Member
Jackpot! Thanks to Roy the mechanic, I opened the holder and these were there.
The earlier ones have a stamp that says "Notts C. C.". There is one handwritten one (78) that has a stamp, "Arnold Notingham". All were attributed to NNW 706. does this mean one person owned it from 1970 to 1981 or does the plate number stay with the bike if is sold?
Sorry for the questions but here in the States you get new plates every time the bike is sold and only keep the same number plate during your ownership.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
...here in the States you get new plates every time the bike is sold and only keep the same number plate during your ownership.
Depends on the state. In California, transfers within the state, the vehicle can retain the same plates.

vibrac

VOC Member
As an added bit of nostalgia the Triumph has a sticker from the dealer who originally sold it (Long gone Leyton's of Oxford)
Again it's amazing what people sell ( and buy!) Lots of UK and US dealer decals

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?