dismounting

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Even having a 32 inch inside leg doesn't help when riding my Prince. It's not recommended that you try to pull the center stand handle while sat on the machine because of the strain it puts on the brazing around the joints. I don't have any problems standing on the left of the bike holding the bars with the left hand and pulling the handle up with the right hand. To ensure undue strain is not put on the stands feet the handlebars should be straight.

deejay499

VOC Member
Having a 29" inside leg, I did the same as JC above on my solo Prince. When the stand touches the ground, as long as you have weight on the handle, the bike will stay upright, so having your left hand on the left bar just steadies the bike in case. (no side stand fitted)

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I don't have a problem getting the bike onto the stand when I'm off it, it's just the transition from on to off and I'm not mature enough for a side car just yet.

Mac

b'knighted

VOC Member
On one occasion following a cold wet ride, having failed to dismount cleanly, I pondered this problem while lying in a puddle outside my garage. There are no street lights so it was cold wet and dark. The Knight was ticking over but I couldn't quite reach it as it was lying on my left foot. I think I had to wriggle out of the boot to get free.
The solution was to fit a sidestand into the sidecar mount (triangle position) and always deploy this to lean the bike on while mounting /dismounting.
I actually stand on its foot as I climb on as this ensures that the bike cannot fall away from the stand.
The sidestand used is from a Honda VFR 400R NC24 see
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VFR400R-NC24-...68?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item33629f79cc

Mine is bolted to a welded up head on a sidecar bolt locknutted into the sidecar fitting. It works well enough to be copied so the MkII by Dick Sherwin has a threaded tube and a stud welded to the Honda top bracket. The tube goes through his sidecar fitting and the stud prevents rotation.

Cheers,

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I can already do that but it doesn't go down well with the local mcc, they don't like show offs.:D

Regards Mac

Albervin

VOC Member
One of Neal Videan's sidestands is the answer. Easy to use and strong! Like most of Neal's items it is a solution to a problem......

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Sorry, when I saw the thread title dismounting I thought someone was prying into my personal life.