dismantling seat stays for plating

Restoration Man

Forum User
VOC Member
I am going to have the steel stays (FT17) nickel plated, but would like to know if the S/stay assembly (FT94S), can be taken apart easily? The stays appear to be held in place in the alloy casting by pins? Can they be driven out,are the stays a screw fit or light drive fit in in casting? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Restoration Man

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Drill out the Aluminium pins and heat the casting. Mine came out with difficulty, I had to heat and twist but they did come out..
I refitted them with an assembly grade Loctite(other makes available) and found some alloy bar to make the rivets out of..John

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I would agree with the above, but remember, the seat stay castings are not too robust in the horizontal plane, so, as Chubby Checker said "watch how you twist." They are also heat treated, so careful with the blowlamp an' all. My originals had steel rivets.Why not make the stays out of stainless? If you can find the centre of the rivets, sneaking up on them in drill sizes might be a gentler way to go.

vibrac

VOC Member
back in the sixties they slipped a bit of crome water pipe over them (fits a treat) but then who noticed as they went by riding to work every day

nkt267

VOC Member
I forgot to add that I replaced the cadmium plated stays with stainless so that I don't have to remove them again.On one set that I did I didn't fit an aluminium rivet but had the holes welded over,the assembly compound holds them in permanently..john