Misc: Charging Systems Dismantling 1999 Alton

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My '99 vintage single phase Alton has stopped working. (I shouldn't have bragged so much and jinxed it.) When I measure the resistance between the output leads, I get an open circuit, unless I push one lead into the housing firmly. If I could open it up, it should be an easy repair. The drive end has two opposed radial blind holes that could be used with rods to unscrew the end from the housing, assuming it has male threads. I have written to the Works, asking for help. But, probably not wanting to encourage this, I haven't gotten an answer. Or they are off on holiday.

So, has anyone here taken theirs apart or have any suggestions? If I ruin it, I am no worse off than if I did nothing.

Left End.jpgMid Section.jpgRight End.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Hi Bruce, I have disassembled a 2010 era Alton and found that all the electrics are in the drive end with the other half of the housing only air space. I carefully fed wires thru and inspected, but, stupidly didn't take photos. I was trying to see how to duplicate/replicate a Miller dyno with an Alton.............and it is easy. But this is a 2010 year Alton. Two screws coming in radially need to be removed to allow end section to come off, carefully push wires thru as housing is removed.
Cheers
Craig

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Paul Hamon can be a little slow to get back to you, might even require a second email. He has been great about the problems I had with his MK2and MK3 Altons.
The MK4 has been perfect to date, about four years old now and 20,000 miles on it.

Just 14 years out of your MK1 before experiencing trouble? Should still be under warranty.
Glen

clevtrev

VOC Member
Bruce. The three screws on the rotor hold it onto the shaft, Remove and lift off rotor. Magnets will try to hold on.
Then you will need two circular clamps, one to hold the body, and one to hold the steel insert. But you should not need to go that far, given what you have said might be the problem, the wires will be exposed when you lift off the rotor. I`ll take some pictures to morrow and e-mail.

derek

VOC Member
I have just completely burnt out my very low hours Alton. I re-fitted magneto as I was not happy with my Pazon sure-fire electronic ignition. I started the Comet and foolishly just run it up the road to test, I had not fitted the battery isolation fuse as required for electronic ignition: That is all it takes for a very expensive failure. Surly a large capacitor or other protection device could be fitted. Advice please electronic experts?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I was able to open it up and discover that the wires weren't broken internally. The new female spade lug that I had crimped on was making intermittent contact because the wires coming out of the body were varnished as they need to be in the windings. I buffed the varnish off the wire ends and soldered terminals on and it should be good to go when I re-install it and ready for another 14 years!

tractorman414

VOC Member
My '99 vintage single phase Alton has stopped working. (I shouldn't have bragged so much and jinxed it.) When I measure the resistance between the output leads, I get an open circuit, unless I push one lead into the housing firmly. If I could open it up, it should be an easy repair. The drive end has two opposed radial blind holes that could be used with rods to unscrew the end from the housing, assuming it has male threads. I have written to the Works, asking for help. But, probably not wanting to encourage this, I haven't gotten an answer. Or they are off on holiday.

So, has anyone here taken theirs apart or have any suggestions? If I ruin it, I am no worse off than if I did nothing.

View attachment 1983View attachment 1984View attachment 1985

Hi Bruce, I know its 5 years on. I have a 1998 Alton VT778, which failed in 2012 after 35,000 mikes, Paul said at the time it's not worth repairing and I bought another. I can't bring myself to throw the old one away, but haven't figured out yet how to dismantle it. Did you have any success, can you help me ?
Bernard Jones Dorset UK