Difazio lubrication

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not Vincent related (unless I change the engine!) but I am looking for some suggestions re lubrication.
I think I have found an application that I won't use R on:rolleyes:
I am rebuilding a Difazio Hub center steered machine (BMW R75/6) for those not familiar with a Difazio Hub center steering machine (and there is lots on the web) here is a diagram and a picture of mine
Difazio-Hub-Center-Axle-Des.jpg

hub3s.jpg

Now the dark inner ring is where the oil seal resides the oil is replenished via a 1/4" screw in the middle of the hub width between the spokes. according to an ex employee of Jack Difazio the seal was always incontinent (but at least he did tell me the level and it seems I had overfilled it and it leaked a tablespoon of 10-40 in a day!) so I am looking for an oil that will work with those big roller bearings but will hate to migrate the labyrinth seals and I can inject via oil can into 1/4 hole. I am quite happy to replenish but I would prefer a weekly task not a daily one
Big ask!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
What about that Semi Fluid Grease we were talking about for Comet gearbox, You would have to warm it up to get it in the hole. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
What about that Semi Fluid Grease we were talking about for Comet gearbox, You would have to warm it up to get it in the hole. Cheers Bill.
No I did consider it but penrite grease would be difficult to fill (Its bad enough filling a Burman with a mastic gun) and would snow plough the rollers it needs to be an oil- I keep thinking of those old paint adverts -"thicksotropic" but I think semi intelligent oil is some way off yet.

vibrac

VOC Member
Morris golden film 140?.Got it in my comet box and the '32 Sunbeam box..John
Thanks I followed up on your suggestion and looked at that but smallest units start at £22 I wonder if castrol straight 140 (D140) in smaller cans is approximately the same?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks I followed up on your suggestion and looked at that but smallest units start at £22 I wonder if castrol straight 140 (D140) in smaller cans is approximately the same?
Straight 140 was specified for the swinging arm pivot on my Norton Commando. This was back in the '70's but I think I bought it in a 1 litre bottle. You should find it at Halfords according to the Castrol website.