Diesel Warning

Comet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have copied this from another forum I am on. But it is worth knowing that these walk among us.

I was at work Saturday helping one of the monkeys fit a new dif to his bmw . He and a few of them at work go drifting alot of time to santa pod .but they practice on public roads which is normal as every where I go now I see tyre marks on round abouts . Well on fitting dif I noticed washer jets pointing on to his rear tyres I asked want they was for and he said it helps him to brake traction its better when we use diesel . I asked if he used it on the main roads to which he said yes so I punched him 3 times in the face till I was held back .two of my mates this week have come off on diesel . He told me they all do it and some one at santa pod told him thats what they do (we l8ve 150 odd miles from the pod so its a wide spead problem) SO BE CAREFUL

regards

John

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sadly this is the generation of younger folk who will be taking over this planet......a generation who don't have regard for anything or anyone.....am i wrong ...Greg.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Before casting too many stones, it's not like any of us is innocent with respect to polluting the environment. In my state cars and trucks have to pass annual exhaust emissions tests, but motorcycles have been exempted for quite a few years. However, back before they were exempted it always was a dicey proposition whether or not my bikes would squeek through at the max. for CO2 and hydrocarbons. But my fuel injected cars barely registered at 100x lower than the allowed limit. So, if we really truly cared about the environment we'd have our Vincents recycled as scrap and drive eco-friendly vehicles instead. Yes, dumping diesel fuel on the roundabout rates very high on the irresponsible pollution index (as well as on the safety index), but simply riding an old motorcycle also rates fairly far up the pollution scale as well. And, how many old motorcycles have you seen parked that don't have oil on the ground under them? Presumably more than one innocent person over the years has slipped when they stepped in one of those oil slicks.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I do not have any figures to support this suggestion but I find it impossible to believe that any modern vehicle is produced without causing more pollution during its manufacture, and during the production of all the energy expended in its manufacture, than I will ever cause by burning fossil fuels and even by dribbling a little bit from my machines.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I do not have any figures to support this suggestion but I find it impossible to believe that any modern vehicle is produced without causing more pollution during its manufacture, and during the production of all the energy expended in its manufacture, than I will ever cause by burning fossil fuels and even by dribbling a little bit from my machines.
There are various ways of looking at this issue, some of which are a lot harder to estimate than others. However, many of the people reading this already have one of those modern vehicles that they use for many purposes, plus a Vincent. For these people the initial pollution produced in making that modern vehicle already exists whether or not it sits in the driveway or is used on a given day. So, for these people we can compare the additional pollution of using a Vincent vs. a modern vehicle when deciding which one to take on a 100 mile trip. In this comparison, the Vincent definitely comes out the loser.

For someone who only has a Vincent and who expects to ride it, say, 100,000 miles in its lifetime the more difficult calculation is comparing the total overall pollution of the 3000+ gallons of gas plus ~150 qts. of oil it will use, vs. scrapping it on day one and buying a modern vehicle to use for those 100,000 miles instead. Such calculations are difficult to make since they depend on assumptions of the mix of hydroelectric, solar, wind, nuclear, coal, and gas-fired electricity used in the mining and manufacturing, plus the amount of ethanol in the fuel (and the fossil fuel used in its production), plus how much of the initial energy is effectively recovered when the vehicle is scrapped at the end (vs. mining new raw materials).

carlm

Non-VOC Member
I have copied this from another forum I am on. But it is worth knowing that these walk among us.

I was at work Saturday helping one of the monkeys fit a new dif to his bmw . He and a few of them at work go drifting alot of time to santa pod .but they practice on public roads which is normal as every where I go now I see tyre marks on round abouts . Well on fitting dif I noticed washer jets pointing on to his rear tyres I asked want they was for and he said it helps him to brake traction its better when we use diesel . I asked if he used it on the main roads to which he said yes so I punched him 3 times in the face till I was held back .two of my mates this week have come off on diesel . He told me they all do it and some one at santa pod told him thats what they do (we l8ve 150 odd miles from the pod so its a wide spead problem) SO BE CAREFUL

regards

John

Holy Crap! Glad this fad hasn't reached here. We've got enough trouble with loose fuel caps.