Diesel Warning

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I came off my pristine (till then ) Norton Commando on a patch of Diesel due to an overfilled truck fuel tank about 24 years ago.
Of course the diesel was spilled going round a corner and the bad thing about it is there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
I went round a slow corner no faster than 20 mph and lost the bike big way.
As a result my shoulder still dislocates every year or two at the must stupid movements. I would have smacked his face as well believe me.
Bernd

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Unfortunately this thread has started to be diverted into an environmental side turning. The original poster is talking about people who are actually purposely creating a dangerous road surface that could affect the safety of other road users. Please try to keep to the point. The pollution of the environment is an important issue. If you want to discuss the environment please start a new thread.

P.S. I too have had a motorcycle accident on a slippery road surface caused by a lorry dump. I have sympathy with Bernd as I also have a shoulder that occasionally dislocates.:(

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I was really lucky when I hit a diesel spill years ago, the rear wheel slid first and the front must have been off the diesel, I went 1/2 way round a roundabout speedway style until it thinned out and the rear started gripping again. I had to pull over and recover, it was a very busy roundabout over a motorway and I could have potentially gone into the railings and over.

vibrac

VOC Member
However, back before they were exempted it always was a dicey proposition whether or not my bikes would squeek through at the max. for CO2 and hydrocarbons. But my fuel injected cars barely registered at 100x lower than the allowed limit.

So what price a fuel injected Vincent?- I was an agnostic untill I watched what my son does with his ECU on his flying brick its an education to sit in the paddock with the vin and the BMW and watch peoples faces when they see him with an open laptop setting up for the track at a Vintage meeting! - and why not? the BMW is 28 years old,truly vintage. like a 52 Vincent in 1980

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I have copied this from another forum I am on. But it is worth knowing that these walk among us.

I was at work Saturday helping one of the monkeys fit a new dif to his bmw . He and a few of them at work go drifting alot of time to santa pod .but they practice on public roads which is normal as every where I go now I see tyre marks on round abouts . Well on fitting dif I noticed washer jets pointing on to his rear tyres I asked want they was for and he said it helps him to brake traction its better when we use diesel . I asked if he used it on the main roads to which he said yes so I punched him 3 times in the face till I was held back .two of my mates this week have come off on diesel . He told me they all do it and some one at santa pod told him thats what they do (we l8ve 150 odd miles from the pod so its a wide spead problem) SO BE CAREFUL

regards

John

Should this practice lead to the death of a biker it would incur a charge of manslaughter.

1660bob

VOC Member
Manslaughter indeed, but even if a biker went down just seconds after some brain dead wannabee Top Gear presenter had dumped diesel on a roundabout,even caught on CCTV, his defence team would argue that there was likely/probably diesel there from another, earlier vehicle and whose to say which spill caused the crash???? Very difficult to prove.
The Police may already be well aware of this,(As a Retired Plod myself, have just phoned my local nick to make sure it gets on their intelligence system-I would urge you all to do similar...) The Cops would be looking possibly at Construction and Use legislation if these mods were discovered on a stop check, along with Reckless/Dangerous driving depending on how they came across this, i.e. observing a "drifter" "practicing" on a roundabout. Any vehicle so equipped/modified suchlike would surely automatically nullify its insurance and being technically uninsured, MAY be possibly seized (and hopefully eventually crushed) by the Police under Insurance legislation, here`s hoping! Don`t let the injury or worse of a local biker lie on your conscience-phone your local nick now! Safe Riding, Bob.