G

Graham Smith

Photo stolen from Facebook.

271548043_1520470761667339_7945807328008093655_n.jpg
DFC213

A Nut

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Comet must be pretty close to this one, registration number EFC533, It has a later type oil tank with bottom entry and exit. This is an Oxford registration so probably came through Kings of Oxford as did mine.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes DFC is an Oxford registration and we have a couple of other DFC bikes listed that did go to Kings so most probably a Kings bike. Unfortunately, I have no other info on DFC 213 and so I don't know exactly which bike it was and the registration is not listed with DVLA either.

DFC 213 is a mid-1936 registration.

The bike itself could be a Comet or Meteor as quite a few Meteors had stainless tanks so that cannot be used to identify the model.

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Do you think there's a possible clue in the METE at the top corner?
Delboy
Maybe, but it maybe refering to the photo above which is cut off which maybe a different bike. Also whoever wrote that maybe wrong. Too many maybes to be sure.

I just extracted from the DB all the series A bikes that went to Kings of Oxford and / or just Oxford and looking at the bikes close to the other DFC we have recorded I can only find one Meteor which had a tank with stainless side pannels and that bike has a known registration which is not DFC 213. There are several Comets close by date wise with stainless tanks which went to Oxford for which their registrations are unknown but for which DFC 213 could fit. So from a works record view and a process of elimination, Meteor doesn't really fit as a model and most likely a Comet.

Simon

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes DFC is an Oxford registration and we have a couple of other DFC bikes listed that did go to Kings so most probably a Kings bike. Unfotunately I have no other info on DFC 213 and so I don't know exactly which bike it was and the registration is not listed with DVLA either.

DFC 213 is a mid 1936 registration.

The bike itself could be a Comet or Meteor as quite a few Meteors had stainless tanks so that cannot be used to identify the model.

Simon
Dont forget Leytons of Oxford they were almost a s big as Kings back then I have been to the Oxford Archives and looked at the micro fishe when getting my 52 Triumph Trophy number back one day kings took a page of numbers next day Leytons. Shame on the London Bourghs for destroying all their registration records they are not fit to run a listed toilet