Definition of 'basket case'

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
With the increasing value of any old iron, it is interesting to see the use of the word ' basket case' being stretched to mean any old pile of bits vaguely resembling parts of a bike!

Ebay seems to be the favourite place to dispose of a pile of bits called a basket case for a ridiculous starting bid, any suckers out there?

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There are always suckers out there. You just have to ask yourself,"Do you feel lucky; Well, do you?" There is a Rapide (Repede?) for sale on e-bay in Australia at the moment. Not a basket case but look at the seat stays & ask yourself "If they couldn't get that right what else is wrong?" All for a start price of $58,000. Oh yes, its condition is described as "New".

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
clevtrev, that just about sums it up. there is always a reason to end-up a basket case. over the last 40 years i have been persuaded to build at least 20! both cars+bikes. none were complete ,all cost more than they were worth when done. "if in doubt-blow it out" , Roy.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
flirting with becoming more of a basket case than the one you've bought.....

Howdy Chaps,

Hadn't sat on a Vin, let alone rode one nor had any reference machine/ready sources of information like the Internet these days when undertaking my first Vin project, also never had as many sanity checks doing a restoration as experienced with this moldy pile. I flirted with becoming a basket case while resusitating my basket case...and enjoyed (nearly) every minute of it, stoicly resolving never to do it again only to turn around a buy this lump 10 years later to go through a lighter version of same again.