HB: Handlebars Decompressor lever to work with modern switchgear

Normski

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Moving the whole of the valve lifter lever should not affect the adjustment of the cable. The inner and outer cables move together. I have used the switch cluster of the 500 cc Honda across the frame V twin (sorry don't know the model number) and it is superb.
I didn’t explain the bit about the extra travel very well. The existing lever has quite a generous distance from pivot to cable fitting and thus moves the inner quite a way when operated through its full stroke (but it fouls the switchgear if that is fitted) Using this lever the valves are lifted towards the end of its stroke ie it’s taking up a lot of slack movement in ET165 before lifting the valves. I’ve another lever here where the pivot is further from the handlebars and thus misses the switchgear but which doesn’t move the cable inner so far - with the rocker caps off to observe, this lever at full stroke is barely causing the front exhaust pushrod to move and not moving the rear exhaust pushrod at all. I don’t want to pre load the ET165 in order to get the stubbier lever to work.

vibrac

VOC Member
When I had this same system on the twin I used a junction box to split the cables to the two head decompressors and arranged it so that a small movement opened just one cylinder so I knew which one was the rear cylinder and full pull gave me both open. (both open for instance when running up on rollers to get oil round the block after a lay up etc))
I really must sort out a Venhill full length decompressor the RE one cokes up the spark plug thread at the lower end (I have been saying that for at least two years:oops:)

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I’ve not got heads drilled for an Enfield type decompressor Tim, but if they ever come off I’ll get them drilled and tapped.
Have settled on using the previous lever mounted very inboard of normal, looks awful but does no harm and buys me time.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
When your heads come off borrow my jig from B'nighted and do them your self as they can be done in the garden shed with simple handtools

Albervin

VOC Member
When I bought my Shadow it had a switch block that included quite a neat lever that is moved with the left thumb. No idea of the brand as I don't know when it was fitted. The lever is integral with the block at the base below the horn button. If interested I could delve into the shed and take photos. I will not be using it as I do not plan to fit indicators. The R.H. switch block has the electric start button, kill switch etc.

litnman

VOC Member
Many MX bikes use this combo.
Kawi lever.png