decent bonding glue?

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All, I am just contemplating fixing the new linings to my clutch shoes.I was advised to glue them as well as rivet them (NOT as an alternative to rivets-to compliment them) the reason for glueing- to stop reasonance/noise as the shoes take up the drive.I was advised to use Araldite.Hmmmm, may be fine for the job, but seems like aincent glue technology to me-surely there is a better alternative available? Any ideas?, cheers, bob

ossie

VOC Member
thats what i use as you say its only a plus to the rivets so they aint going nowhere.
OSSIE

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Clutch linings, like brake linings are made of "friction material" If there is enough friction for the unit to operate effectively, the opposite must mean that they will also grip the shoes that they are riveted to.If the linings are in good contact the rivets are only there to ensure that the little darlings won't "fall into the works" why would you want to do something that the factory found unneccesary?

vibrac

VOC Member
Araldite:
wish it was ancient glue technology
anyone who used the original CIBA mixture in the 60's knows what a load of S*it the modern araldite is

timetraveller

VOC Member
Remember that 'Araldite' is just one trade name for a particular epoxy resin which is aimed at the bottom end of the consumer market. Many epoxy resins soften when they get hot. Having said that years ago I used Araldite to bond my brake linings on to the shoes on my twin when I was racing and sprinting and did not use rivets as well. I never had any problems with the linings coming loose although being older and wiser? I would not recommend anyone else to do the same nowadays. There are plenty of "heat resistant epoxy resins" about and typing that phrase into Google will bring up so many choises that your only problem will be to find a supplier that will sell you a very small amount. However, the professionals do not use an epoxy resin but rather a heat resisting phenolic resin. Once again ask Google. The easiest would be to try and find somewhere locally who does the work and scrounge a small amount of resin from them but if there is no one local to you Google will give you the information you need.

Howard

VOC Member
why would you want to do something that the factory found unneccesary?[/QUOTE]

Come on Roy, this is the VOC, we all know better than the factory. :)

Classic Brakes just relined my brakes, and glued and rivetted them. I'm sure Ian would tell you what "glue" he uses, or reline the clutch shoes for you.

H

john998

VOC Member
Have just used Araldite on my clutch shoe linings, mainly to make drilling the holes through the linings more acurate and easier. Use a spare cluch drum and 2 clamps to hold the linings in place till the glue dries. This has to be done one lining at a time.
In the dim and distant have used it on brake shoes, but allways with rivets.
John.

D

Deleted member 1085

Hi All, I am just contemplating fixing the new linings to my clutch shoes.I was advised to glue them as well as rivet them (NOT as an alternative to rivets-to compliment them) the reason for glueing- to stop reasonance/noise as the shoes take up the drive.I was advised to use Araldite.Hmmmm, may be fine for the job, but seems like aincent glue technology to me-surely there is a better alternative available? Any ideas?, cheers, bob

There appears to be more than one grade of Arladite see http://www.resins-online.com/ecommerce/product/araldite-resin-ay105-1-1kg.aspx#technicalSpec-tab. So I guess choosing the correct grade is half the battle and using the right process is the other.
Keith