Debris

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The timing cover was last off approx' 1K miles ago, having removed it to replace the miller with an alton I found these slivers of hardened steel in the bottom of the cover. From the indicated diameter has anyone any thoughts where they have come from.

There are no other indications of any other mechanical failure such as noise but something is obviously out of tolerance,

IMG_3932A.jpg
IMG_3933A.jpg

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Check that your ESA nut has not started to loosen.

I had something like this and it was as a result of a loose ESA nut that resulted in the hardened spacer shim between the main bearing and the flywheel being hammered to shreds. Not an expensive fix in terms of parts but required a complete engine strip down and the cases split. Good fun if you enjoy spanner work. Pain in the butt if you do not.

I hope your ESA nut is still dead tight.

nkt267

VOC Member
If there is no other damage obvious in the timing chest you will have to start thinking about damage to the bits that are not so obvious ie-oil pump plunger or worm , and while you have the cover off you can check for excessive end play on the mainshaft to check for the damage Martyn has indicated..John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Could it be bits of Piston Ring ?, Not easy to see from the photo, Can't think of anything else with a curve like that. Good Luck Bill.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Brian

If there was nothing wrong before Alton fitment there is surely a high probability of this being the culprit.

Is the pinion keyed to the Alton shaft? ...or a different oil seal or spacer fitted? or a circlip locating the Alton bearing?

Tatty

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Brian

If there was nothing wrong before Alton fitment there is surely a high probability of this being the culprit.

Is the pinion keyed to the Alton shaft? ...or a different oil seal or spacer fitted? or a circlip locating the Alton bearing?

Tatty

Sorry, I might have miss-interpreted "last off" to mean it is now off again and the debris has just been found....rather than when it was last off 1k ago and that's when the bits were found.

If the latter then disregard my reply

Tatty

John French

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm confused (not unusual) but why would you remove the timing cover to replace Mr. Miller with an Alton? Did you mean the primary cover and everyone but me understood that's what you meant? And are we talking about a twin? I'm new to the land of Vincent and it helps me understand the conversation to get the foundational facts straight. John in NC

flxible

VOC Member
Wording a bit of a red herring, eh John?
Since Brian's showing the bits in the timing cover, I'll ask how the surfaces of cams/followers are looking.
Best-
George