Danny W

Danny W

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have oil leaking from the point where the decompression cable goes into the engine. The bike is a '51 Black Shadow. Any ideas?

Thanks

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that most do. But you have a couple of choices 1/ You purchase 2 new rubber washers that fit under where the sleeve that holds the cable in place or 2/ You can get a modified adaptor from Russel at Vinparts which has a seal. The problem with the later is that the seal fits inside the timing chest which does mean a strip down. I have one of the modofied ones sitting in the garage waiting for a rainy day its been there for about 2yrs . You could check that the cable is not too tightly adjusted and is holding the seals off of the point that they seal.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
If you take the cable of at the engine end there is a rubber seal that is on the part that comes out of the crank case this may be broken or put on a series D breather cap

John Cone

VOC Member
It's best to fit 2 of the rubber washers together. When you put it together fill the sleeve with either some heavy grease or some silicon and let it set, that will also help.

Albervin

VOC Member
The engine can use the valve lifter cable outlet as a breather. As has been mentioned earlier, make sure everything is seated properly and then go about fixing it if necessary. There are plenty of Vincent owners living not far from you so help is at hand if required.