Misc: Everything Else Dampers

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I still have the original front & rear dampers on my “C” Rapide. I suspect they are past their “best before” date. The choices seem to be original looking units sold by the Spares Company or by Maughans..or a flash looking damper sold by AVO.
Anyone have any thoughts on any of these units?

timetraveller

VOC Member
There is really no comparison. A Vincent damper, even when it is modified and does not leak, still has the same damping on expansion and contraction. If someone has found a reliable way round that then it would be good to know. The AVO is a modern damper which has more damping when extending then when being compressed and has adjustable damping. I have no connection with AVO

Last edited:

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
The first thing you need to ask yourself is what are you going to use the bike for. If you want to keep it looking original and only do a few miles a month then go with original dampers. If doing high mileage and want a smooth ride then AVO is the way to go.

vibrac

VOC Member
Paul Ennis did the best set of mods on an original damper
I spent a lot of time on them when I was racing back in the sixties its all in the forum somewhere
for stooging around they are fine
AVO's are superb once set up for your plot

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Pitty Works performance stopped it.

I am bussy with Hyperpro.
The shit is everyone wants it own setting.
But the ajustable one is way toooooooo long.

Cheers you old Canadian!!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Works are still going, or at least started up in some capacity........ I have just recently bought a new set of rear coil overs for my bevel Ducati that I've nearly finished restoring, and these came from them. We should enquire as to whether they might re make the Vincent ones........Anyway I've decided to sort out my own ones to my specs made by Ikon here in Australia........This is simply a re- valved version of the ones they already supply, as these are way too stiff for the front of a Vincent.........Problem is production is very slow for many of the normal Covid reasons and beyond.........Perhaps in a few months i might be able to help supply some if anyone is interested.........But i have aimed them at being an addition to the modified front end with the softer than stock front springs........A stiff shocker with this front end makes the front way to stiff, which to me is a giant step backward. I have nothing against the AVO shock's, I just don't feel that they give me the correct ride caracteristics i'm looking for.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
The AVOs are really good. I had a rebuilt front original damper. I had made a better seal arrangement and done a mod where I had added a check valve into the system. It worked as well as it could work, but the AVO is way better. The standard damper was very harsh over sudden bumps. I also use the AVO coilover at the rear.

oexing

VOC Member
I would hate to send dampers away for my individual needs and do this maybe several times. Instead I´d wish to have the tool to open the damper for mods I like . Fabricating the tool should not be rocket science, nor is making changes within the damper. My motto: Yes, you can !! The old Koni was allright as you could alt least dial the extension force by fully compressing it to engage in the bottom key. But the compression force was too strong, so I had a look inside with mods to follow - as you will guess . . .
Taking care for most customers I´d think three or four spring types should do on all sorts of Vincents fitted with AVOs ? So all you´d want is to mess around with internal parts for fine tuning to your individual likings , no ? They should sell the tools for this as well, especially when dealing with the colonies as shipping times are often excessive.
Vic

MarBl

VOC Member
As far as I know, you cant change compression on the AVO front damper. For expansion you can extend the available klick-range by turning the valve upside down.
For the IKON dampers you can order different valves (1 € each) and a tool (ca. 100 €), to do your own adjustments.