F: Frame Damper Refurbishment

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I just used a small nail, It don't have to do much.
My standard Comet likes the standard shocker, Seems lighter than the others that are sold now,
Up to now, No leaks !!. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you can get to speak to Paul Ennis he has done a real engineering job on the damper. I got a details sheet from him at the National Rally and I think it includes further mods that were not in his MPH article I will try and fit in making one this winter for my Flash (You see I can do 'looks like standard')

Chris.R

VOC Member
I tried and failed to re use the old locking pin on the top mount, as it turns out it was the same diameter as welding rod, so insert welding rod after sharpening it a bit, carefully saw it off on each side. Use stainless rod if you want to get fancy :)
Noted I think I have some of that probably 1/16 rod at the moment pin seems OK Alan/Powella`s suggestion for `O' ring replacement seemed a good one I have a batch now from the company he suggested so set to try out the process he suggested. Chris.R

hadronuk

VOC Member
Hi Chris
use Paul`s idea of approx 3 inch x 2 inch bubble wrap round the outside of the piston body.
Hope this helps - Regards Alan.
Instead of using fragile bubble wrap, why not do what the professionals do and use something intended for the job?
They use either custom made gas cells or closed cell, oil resistant foam. The latter might be easier to source.

Last edited:

kettlrj

VOC Member
Thanks all, I was helping out Mike Farmes who is rebuilding a Comet, so I have passed on the info.
Regards Richard

Chris.R

VOC Member
My attempts at self refurbishment all failed and the spindles still leaked, I gave up and sent the dampers to Maughans who did a great refurb which looks right and they promise will not leak at least for a long time with their improved internal mods. They also refurbed and straightened my bottom link.