F: Frame Damper Refurbishment

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any chance of putting it on here, I think Chris is a new member, So may not have old MPH s.
Cheers Bill.
You are quite right I do not have access to MPH681. I have into the Millenium and will look at that. I do not have 40 years and 10 more years they had sold out when I asked about them, `I hope they are both reprinted'

hadronuk

VOC Member
The original Vincent Damper is fixed orifice, a design that gives the worst of both worlds, being soft and wallowy at slow suspension speeds and too stiff at high suspension speeds. The Paul Ennis mod is an improvement but cannot change this inherent fault. Every Vincent damper that came after it uses pressure relief valves to give a much better characteristic.
But to be fair, when I did some back to back testing of different dampers fitted to the Girdraulics the Vincent damper didn't seem bad!
I think other problems with Girdraulics such as the high friction make it harder to feel the benefit of a better damper.
At the back, it's a totally different story. A well matched damper and springs can utterly transform the ride.
I certainly would not want to have to return to an original rear Vincent or Armstrong damper unless I was giving up actually riding the bike.

Last edited:

Chris.R

VOC Member
The original Vincent Damper is fixed orifice, a design that gives the worst of both worlds, being soft and wallowy at slow suspension speeds and too stiff at high suspension speeds. The Paul Ennis mod is an improvement but cannot change this inherent fault. Every damper that came after it uses pressure relief valves to give a much better characteristic.
But to be fair, when I did some back to back testing of different dampers fitted to the Girdraulics the Vincent damper didn't seem bad!
I think other problems with Girdraulics such as the high friction make it harder to feel the benefit of a better damper.
At the back, it's a totally different story. A well matched damper and springs can utterly transform the ride.
I certainly would not want to have to return to an original rear Vincent or Armstrong damper unless I was giving up actually riding the bike.
Yes understood, I cannot remember what riding was like in the 60s when I last had a Vincent, I guess it was what we had back then initially I am likely to restore what I have but will think on. Thanks Chris

powella

Non-VOC Member
Hi Chris
Like politicians who never answer a question directly there seems to be no definite reply to your enquiry - so read on .

A " Wellseal " has the looks and consistency of Shellac and is a very good sealer. No one outside of the electrical industry will know what you are talking about regarding Shellac and has`nt been heard of since Glovers Cables of Manchester used it in their Varnished Cambric insulation .

B Tap the small pin out and the top mount will unscrew from the top of the Piston Rod. This is threaded 5/16 inch BSF.

C For the Piston Rod seals you need " Sealmasters " Quad Ring seals ( sometimes called X seals ). These give 2 wiping edges per seal i.e the bottom lower left and the bottom lower right of the " X " give 2 edges.Two of these seals give 4 wiping edges. There is no need to replace any other seals .
Order Quad Ring Q4-013 NBR part number 09QR13N19.
Order for the filling plug Bonded Seal 1/8 inch BSP part number ( Concentrate on this one ! )
57SM45020MS16N. Phone number is 02920490711 or the web www sealmasters co.uk.
The modern replacement 1/8th BSP Blanking Plug uses a 12mm spanner.these are obtainable for any plumbing shop.

D Already has one ( hydraulic )
E Have a go ! if you can unscrew the brass plug at the top the rest is easy and save yourself hundreds of pounds

Extras - the top Brass threaded plug is a 1 1/14 inch TAPER GAS thread .
use Paul`s idea of approx 3 inch x 2 inch bubble wrap round the outside of the piston body.
use Automatic Transmission Fluid to fill . If this proves to be too soft then go to 20 , 30 etc until the
ride is right .
the seals are 0.30 pence each and the bonded one 0.25 each.

Hope this helps - Regards Alan.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi Chris
Like politicians who never answer a question directly there seems to be no definite reply to your enquiry - so read on .

A " Wellseal " has the looks and consistency of Shellac and is a very good sealer. No one outside of the electrical industry will know what you are talking about regarding Shellac and has`nt been heard of since Glovers Cables of Manchester used it in their Varnished Cambric insulation .

B Tap the small pin out and the top mount will unscrew from the top of the Piston Rod. This is threaded 5/16 inch BSF.

C For the Piston Rod seals you need " Sealmasters " Quad Ring seals ( sometimes called X seals ). These give 2 wiping edges per seal i.e the bottom lower left and the bottom lower right of the " X " give 2 edges.Two of these seals give 4 wiping edges. There is no need to replace any other seals .
Order Quad Ring Q4-013 NBR part number 09QR13N19.
Order for the filling plug Bonded Seal 1/8 inch BSP part number ( Concentrate on this one ! )
57SM45020MS16N. Phone number is 02920490711 or the web www sealmasters co.uk.
The modern replacement 1/8th BSP Blanking Plug uses a 12mm spanner.these are obtainable for any plumbing shop.

D Already has one ( hydraulic )
E Have a go ! if you can unscrew the brass plug at the top the rest is easy and save yourself hundreds of pounds

Extras - the top Brass threaded plug is a 1 1/14 inch TAPER GAS thread .
use Paul`s idea of approx 3 inch x 2 inch bubble wrap round the outside of the piston body.
use Automatic Transmission Fluid to fill . If this proves to be too soft then go to 20 , 30 etc until the
ride is right .
the seals are 0.30 pence each and the bonded one 0.25 each.

Hope this helps - Regards Alan.
Hi Alan Simple solutions are usually best and the Vincent damper seems a simple beast, presently I have driven out the pesky and small pin and replaced the larger of the three O rings with new, at the other end of the piston shaft I have placed one of the lipped seals that Paul suggests on page 71 of into the millennium into the screw cap in place of the brass fitting and two seals. I could have said Hermatite rather than Shellac I suppose I am using a locktite paste which takes time to set just as Hermatite used to in the old days. I will however obtain the parts you suggest and comment that I was a trained plumber not an engineer and have neither a lathe or press in my garage. Thanks Chris

powella

Non-VOC Member
Hi Chris

Should have said £ 0.30 pence not 0.30 pence - at 1/3 rd of a penny that really would be a bargain !

If you get stuck for the seals I have " Spares " here.

Regards Alan.

everiman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I tried and failed to re use the old locking pin on the top mount, as it turns out it was the same diameter as welding rod, so insert welding rod after sharpening it a bit, carefully saw it off on each side. Use stainless rod if you want to get fancy :)