F: Frame Damper Refurbishment

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I have taken the dampers off the Comet and after refilling with 20 grade oil and leaving for a week to settle see oil seeping out. I have now dismantled the rear one as far as is easily possible. It appears that there are three perhaps four `o' ring seals that could be easily replaced, there appears to be no scoring on the shaft. It is obvious that the damper has been apart before as the brass threaded turning has been marked where a spanner twisted off it. When the damper was previously assembled a shellac like substance had been used to seal the thread to the aluminium casing.

`A' - Should a sealing compound have been used.
`B' - What is the regular way to get the top to which the shroud fits off the spindle without damaging the spindle: I have pondered heating it at that point as it must be a threaded fit?
`C' - What size `o' rings are required?
`D' - If a bump stop is added as I have read it can be what should be used?
`E' - Or should I leave this job to others?
Chris
_DSC0511.JPG

powella

Non-VOC Member
To get the top mounting off you need to tap out the small locking pin just under the bush.
Do not try to remove the mounting without first pushing this pin out as the twisting action will ruin the threads at the top of the Piston Rod.
Lastly when the small locking pin is out - put it in a safe place as it is an unusual size and shape.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
filling vincent damper Morning Chris, Go to top right corner " Search " Put that in the top then press search, Don't put anything else on there. There is a bit from Paul that tells you what the big oil seal is.
Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Option 1. If you are looking for complete originality you can find improved seals and parts to rebuild your own damper. The design already incorporates a hydraulic bump stop so I'm not sure about "`D' - If a bump stop is added as I have read it can be, what should be used? " as mentioned in your first post.
Option 2. You could buy one of the four units available from the Spares Co.
Option 3. If you actually plan on doing some significant riding same yourself a lot of time, frustration and money buy an AVO damper unit. It will improve your ride quality far better than option 1 or 2.
Others may be able to suggest more options.

vibrac

VOC Member
filling vincent damper Morning Chris, Go to top right corner " Search " Put that in the top then press search, Don't put anything else on there. There is a bit from Paul that tells you what the big oil seal is.
Cheers Bill.
I have a copy of the full Paul Ennis damper mods he gave me at the Annual Rally I think that includes most of the mods of the last 50 years and then improves on it I certainly will be building one for my Grey Flash I did have a unit with the recirculating valve mod & some sealing changes for many years on the racing Comet and it was a great improvement.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I think that I heard that Mauhan's will do a full rebuild and update but whether they include all of the Paul Ennis mods I do not know. Their telephone number is 01529 461717.