'D' Comet

Tony Cording

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Those of you out there who breathlessly await the Vancouver Section review each month will know that I am in the process of building a C/D Comet Special. 'D' ufm, lightly modified 'C' rfm and single shock. 'C' Comet engine, Norton gearbox, etc.

So, to my question regarding the original 'D Comet. Has anyone seen how the F106 frame tie was configured to take the 'D' u.f.m. D.J. Peters made a 'D' Comet, and added bracing struts to strengthen the 'D' u.f.m. and F106 and did a very nice job. But I am curious as to how the factory produced the 'D' Comet and Victor in this regard.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Tony Cording

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
On dangerous ground as I have no direct knowledge of D Comet or Victor but I thought the UFM was quite different from D Twins. It believe it had two tubes from the steering head and utilised the standard Comet tie piece F106. Somewhere way back in MPH in the 60's or 70's there is a photo of the D Comet with the tank removed.

Last edited:

Tony Cording

VOC Member
Thanks Hugo. Next question - does anyone out there remember seeing the picture, and a long stretch, which MPH is was in?

Thanks

Tony

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Tony,
I've found another reference with photo of a tankless D Comet. Vincent Vee Twins by Roy Harper, Osprey Collector's Library (i.e.publishers) Copyright Roy Harper 1982. ISBN 0-85045-435-2. Page 126. It's a rather small photo but with the aid of a trusty magnifying glass you can see the lower tube starting at the bottom of the headlug then cranked over the cylinder head to join the top tube at a lug at the top of the frame tie.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Another source of info

Hugo, Tony

Try contacting Eric Patterson of Kempton Autojumble fame. I know he has a 'D' single.....

Neil

Tony Cording

VOC Member
D Comet

Hi Hugo, just checked Vincent V Twins - Roy Harper. Thanks for the info. The D ufm looks standard, which presumes the F106 was slotted to accept the ufm, with no bracing struts. I will google the Kempton Autojumble to see if I can track down the gentleman in question.

Thanks for your help gents.

Tony