Cylinder Temperature

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i am sure that the info has been posted before but I can't find it.
What is the normal temperature for exhausts on a Vin Twin, I have a new toy and noticed that the front exhaust is around 20 degrees hotter than the rear.
Jimr

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
i am sure that the info has been posted before but I can't find it.
What is the normal temperature for exhausts on a Vin Twin, I have a new toy and noticed that the front exhaust is around 20 degrees hotter than the rear.
Jimr
HadronUK may be able to answer your question as I know he has been pointing his infra red laser light at his exhaust pipes. I tried this and it is quite sensitive but I didn't note down the figures.

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Perfectly normal, the front head runs consistently 20 degrees F hotter, I had gauges on my twin for quite a few years to show this.
Point the laser light at the timing cover also, the result will surprise you. Best time to do it, is after maybe 100 miles.

hadronuk

VOC Member
I agree with Clevtrev. I have measured the head temps after a run, and on my bike typically the front will be around 105c and the rear 100c. Depends on ambient temp, how fast I was going etc of course.
I have no idea what a normal exhaust pipe temperature is, as it varies so quickly and I have only measured it at tickover. Small changes in tickover speed and carb balance produce big differences F to R, so I think this would swamp any F/R inherent imbalance as can be observed in the head temps.

Paul Coene

VOC Member
Gauges for measuring the cylinder temperature.

Cyl.temp..jpg

Photo taken at the Scottish VOC meeting end of june 2016 - The owner (who's name I forgot, sorry) noticed indeed a higher temperature at the front cylinder.